Hoya Notebook

Men’s Golf

Senior Matt Busa led Georgetown again this week, pacing Georgetown with a four-over par 220, good enough for seventh at the Adams Cup in Newport, R.I..

Overall, Busa and the Hoyas finished fifth of 12 teams.

Georgetown finished 42-over par (906) during the two day tournament, 12 strokes behind winner South Florida which finished at 30-over par, 894.

The host, University of Rhode Island, finished tied for second-place with Hartford at 31-over par, 895. Florida Gulf Coast University finished in fourth place at 898, 34-over par.

After the first day of competition, Georgetown found itself in seventh place despite Busa’s best efforts however a second day rally brought them up, past Marshall. He finished the day in fifth place at 144 strokes, even par. Sophomore Tim Hager finished in 17th place with an 11-over par 227. The next Hoya finisher was freshman Trevor Matese who finished back in 40th place at 233, 17-over par. The Hoyas’ next match is this Monday and Tuesday at the William and Mary Invitational in Providence Forge, Va. The women’s team plays today through tomorrow at the Yale Invitational in New Haven, Conn.

Women’s Soccer

Georgetown now has one more ranked opponent to face late in the season to go along with No.1 Notre Dame and No. 6 West Virginia. On Oct. 8, the Hoyas will visit Louisville, Ky. to take on the now-No. 25 Cardinals. Louisville is ranked in the NSCAA/Adidas poll for the first time in school history and has its best start in school history as well (6-1-1, 1-1-0) with their only loss coming against No.1 Notre Dame. Georgetown will face the Irish at home to conclude its season on Oct. 22.

NCAA News

Yesterday, the NCAA released a Graduation Success Rate Report for Division I athletes entering school between 1996 and 1999. According to the report, 70 percent of male athletes graduated, up from 69 percent in the previous period. Women’s graduation rates held steady at 80 percent. According to the report, Georgetown Division I athletes met or surpassed the national average for graduation rates in all sports with the largest difference coming in men’s basketball – 64 percent of Hoyas graduated to only 47 percent nationwide.

– Fiore Mastroianni