Hoya Notebook

Men’s and Women’s Golf

Yesterday, the women’s golf team finished seventh of 11 teams at the Yale Invitational with an 83-over par 648. The Hoyas were led by sophomore Chelsea Curtis, who fired a 13-over par 153 to tie for seventh overall. Junior Jenna Winokur tied for 24th overall with a 20-over par 160. Princeton won the tournament with an overall score of 11-over par 602, two strokes ahead of Harvard’s 604. Host team Yale finished third at 602 strokes and 60-over par. The team continues play next Monday and Tuesday at the Legends of Fall Intercollegiate in Bloomington, Ind.

The men’s team is one third through the Joe Agee Invitational in Toano, Va. The Hoyas are tied for eighth place in the field of 18 after one day of play. Senior Tim Moynihan shot a two-over par 72 and is tied for 16th place to lead the Hoyas. Senior Matt Busa is currently at six-over par 76 and tied for 50th place. The tournament continues through tomorrow.

Men’s Lacrosse

For the second time in three years, Georgetown boasts the nation’s highest ranked recruiting class, according to Inside Lacrosse Magazine. The recruits include two attackers, four midfielders, three defenders and one goalie. The class is led by the No.1 and No. 3 recruits in the nation, midfielders Andrew Brancaccio of Bethesda, Md. and Scott Kocis of Huntington, N.Y.

Kocis led his team to the New York State class `B’ championship and was named Most Valuable Player of the championship game. Brancaccio received the C. Markland Kelly Award as the best men’s lacrosse player in Maryland, although he did spend most of the 2005 season injured.

Attacker Rickey Mirabito of Chenango Forks, N.Y., was a two sport athlete in high school and racked up accolades in football and lacrosse. He led New York State’s Section 4 in scoring in 2005 and was also the leading scorer in the class `C’ tournament. He was also named all-league in football as a quarterback and defensive back.

Johns Hopkins, Virginia, North Carolina and Maryland-College Park round out the top-five recruiting classes. A newcomer to the lacrosse scene, Denver’s recruiting class was ranked eighth in the nation. Denver is the only team from the west ranked in the top-ten in recruiting classes this year.

– Fiore Mastroianni