Hoya Notebook

Georgetown sophomore swingman Marc Egerson is transferring to the University of Delaware, The Wilmington News Journal reported earlier this week.

Citing a desire to be closer to home, and not discontent with Georgetown, Egerson said he plans to enroll at Delaware for the spring semester, which begins in February.

“I just think this is the best place for me,” Egerson told The News Journal. “There’s nothing like hometown fans. Being all the way down in D.C., you don’t get a lot of family coming to games. It’s just great to be home.”

Egerson, who unexpectedly withdrew from Georgetown for personal reasons over the winter break, was the Hoyas’ sixth man this fall. Appearing in all 13 games in 2006, he averaged 7.5 points and four rebounds in 21.4 minutes per game, making three starts early in the season. In his two seasons he averaged a total of 3.4 points and 2.3 rebounds per contest in 34 games.

“We respect his decision, understand that the university is not a perfect fit for every individual and appreciate the contributions he made while he was here,” Georgetown Head Coach John Thompson III said in a Jan. 4 press release. “We wish him all the best in his future.”

A Wilmington, Del., native, Egerson was a two-time player of the year in Delaware. Averaging 25 points per game in high school, he led Glasgow High to the state championship his junior year before graduating from Lutheran Christian in Philadelphia.

Per NCAA rules, Egerson will have to sit out a year, meaning he will be eligible to suit up for the Blue Hens after the fall semester ends in December of next season. He can practice with the team, however, as soon as he enrolls.

According to The News Journal, Delaware was the only university to which Egerson wanted to transfer.

“It’s good going to a place where you can bring them what they need,” Egerson said. “You can be that last piece. We get together, we can make some good things happen.”

Egerson is the second sophomore to transfer away from Georgetown this season. In October, guard Josh Thornton decided to leave Georgetown, ultimately transferring to Towson University.

– Brenna McGee

The Athletic Department’s launched its “Hoyas Uncut” promotion Jan. 8 during the Georgetown-Villanova men’s basketball game. Georgetown is the first university to use this technology, which is only used by two professional basketball teams.

Two short student videos were aired on the Verizon Center Jumbotron during timeouts, which playfully mocked the Wildcats while encouraging fans to cheer on the Hoyas.

“Hoyas Uncut” is meant to excite fans at games and further the Georgetown partnership with America Online, according to a Jan. 6 press release.

The Villanova game was the first of five Rival Games in which “Hoyas Uncut” videos will be aired. The others are the Jan. 27 game against Cincinnati, Feb. 12 against West Virginia, Feb. 24 against Pittsburgh and March 3 against Connecticut.

The Athletic Department asked three student groups to create videos for the launch during the Villanova contest, but videos for the remaining four games can be submitted by any student.

To participate, Hoya fans should upload their video to the GU/AOL Uncut website, which can be found by following a link on https://www.guhoyas.com. Videos must be no longer than 90 seconds and submitted at least three days before the Rival Game.

Content requirements are open ended, but, according to the release, the videos should “hype up the crowd, assail the opposing team or purely show [the video makers’] Hoya pride.”

Judges from Georgetown and AOL will select the videos that air at the Rival Games, and the fan with the best video from the five games will win the grand prize of four tickets to the men’s Big East Basketball Tournament in New York from March 7-10.

Hoya fans can view the videos played during the Rival Games and those that were not chosen on the Hoya Rival Reels section of the AOL Uncut Video site.

– Kevin Wessel