Hoya Race to Qualify for NCAAs

Hoyas Race to Qualify for NCAAs

By Sean P. Flynn Hoya Staff Writer

Georgetown’s men’s and women’s outdoor track teams participated at the Duke Invitational in Durham, N.C. The race was an individual competition with no team scoring, but both teams had several top-ten finishes.

Senior All-America runner Katrina de Boer finished first among collegians with a time of 2:08.00 in the 800-mter run. Overall, de Boer finished eighth.

In the 1,500-meter race, sophomore Kristen Gordon finished sixth with a time of 4:24.68, only 38 one-hundredths of a second behind the NCAA provisional time of 4:24:30.

Sophomore Ilia Daniels ran 25.90 in the 200-meter dash, good for fifth place, while sophomore Lorena Adams’ 17:06.77 in the 5,000 meters earned her sixth place.

The distance medley relay team of junior Autumn Fogg, freshman Tyrona Heat, sophomore Sasha Spencer and Gordon won the race with a time of 11:17.24, beating Reebok Enclave’s 11:20.08 and qualifying the Hoyas for the NCAA tournament.

The Hoyas’ 4-x-400-meter relay team of Spencer, sophomore Beth Kalwinsky, senior Voneka Bennett and Heath took fifth place in that race with a time of 3:45.79.

The men had two first-place finishes in their group. Senior long jumper France Davis earned first place and a provisional bid to the NCAAs with a leap of 25 feet, two inches. In the development section of the 400-meter dash, freshman Hakim Johnson ran a time of 47.88 for the crown.

Sophomore John Marquiss and freshman Michael Williams finished three-four behind Johnson in the developmental section of the 400 meters, with respective times of 48.23 and 48.26.

Georgetown had five of the top ten spots in the 800-meter race. Kalwinsky’s 1:48.76 earned him a third place and a provisional bid to the NCAAs. Senior Sam Gabremariam took fourth place with a 1:48.95 time, while senior Tim Brennan finished right behind Gabremariam with a time of 1:49.33. Senior Ky Adderley took seventh with a time of 1:49.45 and junior Miguel Lambert was ninth with a finishing time of 1:50.12.

In the pole vault, junior Ben Vaught took fourth place with a jump of 14 fett, 11 inches. Senior John Oliver was third in the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 9:46.26, while junior Isidro Pimentel finished fifth in the 1,500-meter run with a amrk of 3:48.06.

The medley teams had a quality weekend as well, with the 4-x-400-meter team and the distance medley relay team each turning in fifth place finishes. Williams, Johnson, Kalwinsky and sophomore Nick Reynolds ran 3:08.93 to gain IC4A qualification. Sophomores Andrew McCarthy and Brandon Roche and sophomore Tom Bonner finished fifth as the “A” team in the distance medley. Williams, Johnson, Davis and Reynolds teamed up for a seventh-place finish in the 4-x-100 relay.

In the discus, junior Sean Flynn took sixth place with a 155-foot, 4-inch throw.

In the 10,000 meters, junior John Lenahan and senior Chris archal took seventh and ninth places, respectively, with times of times of 31:43.38 and 32:35.55.

On Saturday, both the men and the women travel to Chapel Hill, N.C., to race at the University of North Carolina.