Hoyas Face Huskies Next Round

After defeating Villanova in penalty kicks on Thursday, Georgetown will have no chance to revel in the victory.

On Sunday, Georgetown (10-8-0, 6-5-0 Big East) will travel to Storrs, Conn., to face No. 1-seeded Connecticut (12-3-1, 7-3-1) in the Big East championship quarterfinals. This marks the 11th consecutive year that the defending-champion Huskies have qualified for the Big East tournament.

Just last week, on Oct. 29, the Huskies defeated the Hoyas in a 1-0 match on Connecticut’s turf. Despite the close score, Connecticut outshot Georgetown 20-4.

The nationally ranked No. 7 Huskies are led by freshman forward O’Brian White, sophomore forward Chukwudi Chijindu and sophomore forward/midfielder Ryan Cordeiro. Together, they have totaled 18 goals.

As a team, Connecticut has outscored opponents 28-9 and outshot them 189-133.

Defensively, the Huskies rely on senior goalkeeper Adam Schuerman, whose eight shutouts rank him second in the Big East standings.

Although as a team Georgetown has been outscored 37-28 and outshot 270-145, the remarkable play of junior goalkeeper Andrew Keszler has saved them time and time again. Keszler is tied for fifth in the Big East with 67 saves and boasts five shutouts. Against the Huskies last week, he made seven saves.

Senior forward Ben Jefferson-Dow and junior forward Ricky Schramm both have tallied seven goals, and junior midfielder Dan Grasso is just behind them with six. Senior forward Danny McAnally – last year’s most improved player – boasts three goals.

On Sunday, these four offensive players, with the help of freshmen forwards Richard Frank and Sean Bellomy, seek to upset a strong Connecticut team. Kickoff is slated for 1 p.m. at Joseph J. arrone Stadium.