Hoyas Go Through Rough Weekend

Hoyas Go Through Rough Weekend

By Steve Harris Hoya Staff Writer

This weekend proved to be another dismal weekend for the struggling Georgetown men’s and women’s tennis teams. On Saturday, the men competed in the Virginia Commonwealth Invitational, losing to Norfolk State 5-0 and to Radford 4-1. eanwhile, the women were hammered at Maryland by a score of 9-0 on Sunday.

The men had hoped to repeat their victorious performance of a year ago against Norfolk State, which according to Head Coach Rich Bausch, “was their best victory of [last] season.” However, Norfolk State was ready for the Hoyas this year.

Despite being shut out 5-0 by Norfolk State, the match was much closer than the score suggests. At No.1 singles, senior Justin Berman battled hard but ultimately lost a heartbreaker 6-4, 6-7 (7-5), 7-6 (7-5) Norfolk State’s Galvez.

Equally disheartening was the loss Georgetown suffered at No.1 doubles. The tandem of junior Dave Boyer and freshman Ken Jordan played closely only to lose the match in a tight tiebreaker, 9-8 (12-10).

In their second match of the day, the Hoyas faced Radford. Again Georgetown played closely contested matches and again Georgetown came out on the losing side. The Hoyas’ lone victory came at No. 1 doubles where freshmen Andre Benjamin and Nick Sklavounos pulled out a 7-6, 7-5 win, but it was not enough as Radford won 4-1. The two losses drop the men to 1-4 on the season.

On Sunday, the women had more than they could handle in No. 41 aryland. The Terrapins dismantled the Hoyas in a crushing 9-0 victory, not allowing a single match to advance into the third set. Junior Lucky Ravindra lost 6-2, 6-2 at the No.1 singles position to aryland’s Meg Griffin, the fifth-ranked player in the East. Junior Sarada Ravindra fared no better at No. 2 singles, losing 6-1, 6-3 to Maryland’s Lorraine Bittles, ranked No. 8 in the East. The loss drops the women to a mark of 3-4.

Georgetown will try to recover from these disappointing defeats this upcoming weekend. The men will be on the road at Mount St. ary’s on Saturday and at Maryland on Sunday, while the women will be away at George Mason on Sunday.