Hoyas Lose Poise, Final Games

Sometimes a team needs a few setbacks to keep them grounded.

After going 3-1 the week before, Georgetown softball lost the last three games of its inaugural campaign. On Friday they were defeated 7-1 by Howard University and then lost 17-0 and 6-0 in a doubleheader against Longwood on Saturday.

Howard jumped out to an early lead and never relinquished it. They scored four runs in the first three innings and got stellar pitching performances from Dale McNeal and Maya Spencer. The Hoyas were able to put one run on the board in the sixth inning when freshman pitcher Courtney Clark laced a single to score sophomore catcher Brittany Sonnichsen.

But they couldn’t put together enough hits to threaten the Bison as Howard cruised to a 7-1 victory.

“The loss was disappointing because we know that we can play with Howard,” Sophomore centerfielder Katharine Lang said. “They are really aggressive on the bases, which gets us flustered and our defense broke down because of it.”

Georgetown looked to rebound from their loss as they traveled to Farmville, Va. to take on the Longwood Lancers. Clark started the game on the mound and pitched well into the fourth inning. Georgetown’s defense broke down behind her and Longwood put 13 runs on the scoreboard in one inning. The lone bright spot for the Hoyas was the freshmen duo of second baseman Katherine Incantalupo and right fielder Christina Gallinari, which recorded the only hits in the game.

“We were playing great against Longwood for the first three innings, putting people on base and really competing with them,” Lang said. “They are 10th in the nation in runs scored so we were really proud of those first three innings but we couldn’t get out of our defensive problems in the fourth inning.”

Clark, who stepped in for an injured Anna Wheatley, a sophomore pitcher and shouldered the pitching load, had a rough end to her first year, but will be a staple of Georgetown softball for years to come. She was the winning pitcher in three of the team’s four victories, and earned the admiration of her teammates because of her gutsy performances.

Wheatley stepped on the mound for the second half of the doubleheader and fared better than Clark against Longwood, but the results ended the same for the Hoyas. The Lancers scored four runs in the first three innings before Wheatley settled into the game. Those four runs were enough as Georgetown’s bats never got going.

Georgetown salvaged only three hits, as Wheatley helped her own cause with two of them. Longwood added two more insurance runs in the fifth inning and ended Georgetown’s year with a 4-23 record.

“Even though we didn’t win our last game, no one was ashamed of their performance. Our defense played much better and we played really well as a team,” Lang said. “We knew it was our last game as just the 16 of us and wanted to end the year on a good note. We played our game as well as we could, but they just beat us.”

Although the last few games did not end as Georgetown would have hoped, they have nothing to hang their heads about. They completed their first year as a varsity program and never gave up when things were not going their way in the beginning of the year. They finished their last seven games with a 3-4 record and got stronger as the year progressed. Georgetown will continue to improve next year – they will have an experienced foundation, returning 15 of 16 players.

“This year was an experience none of us will forget. We challenged ourselves and had huge amounts of growth,” Lang said. “We’re also ready for the next step and are looking forward to having recruits. They will bring our level of play up and our wins will drastically improve. Our foundation is already there from the 16 of us and the combination of both us and recruits will be really strong.”