Hoyas Move Up and On

Hoya File Photo Former Georgetown catcher Michael Lombardi signed a free agent contract with the Philadelphia Phillies and has batted .305 through 22 games on their rookie league team.

Former Georgetown catcher Michael Lombardi (MSB ’04) signed a free agent contract with the Philadelphia Phillies on June 12.

Initially reporting to the team’s facility in Clearwater , Fla. , Lombardi has since been assigned to the Gulf Coast League Phillies, a rookie league team. Through 22 games, he is batting .305 with 15 RBIs.

As a senior with the Hoyas, Lombardi was named to the All-Big East first team and the ABCA/Rawlings All-East Region second team as a catcher. In 2004, he led Georgetown with a .348 batting average and a .426 on-base percentage and tied for the team lead in runs batted-in with 37.

As a team, Georgetown had its most successful season in 19 years in 2004. The Hoyas were 25-30 on the year, their best record since 1985.

In addition to Lombardi’s departure, the Hoyas will also lose Assistant Coach Michael “Doc” Beeman next year.

In July, Beeman accepted the head coach and assistant athletic director position at Loyola University , New Orleans . Beeman takes over for former Wolfpack Head Coach Gregg Mucerino, who resigned in ay. He will be the sixth coach in Loyola baseball history.

“Doc Beeman comes to Loyola with a wealth of experience recruiting student-athletes that are consistent with the young men we want to continue to bring to Loyola,” Michael F. Giorlando, Loyola’s athletic director and men’s basketball coach, said on the school’s athletics Web site. “He understands the Jesuit ideals and the mission of the university. He has been influential in building successful programs at Georgetown and Trinity. His credentials made him the obvious choice to lead our baseball program.”

At Georgetown , Beeman served as the pitching coach and recruiting director in 2003 and 2004. During his time at Georgetown , the Hoyas’ team ERA fell from 8.24 in 2002 to 5.64 in 2004 and the team set the school record for strikeouts with 340 last season. Georgetown ‘s opponents’ batting average also fell during Beeman’s tenure, from .338 to .286, while the Hoyas’ record improved from nine wins in 2002 to 25 last year.

“I am thankful for the opportunity to lead Loyola’s baseball program,” Beeman said. “I look forward to working with entire university community as we strive for excellence on the field and in the classroom. I am thrilled to be coming to a university as prestigious as Loyola.”