Hoyas Ranked 13th in the Nation

Hoyas Ranked 13th in the Nation

Georgetown Hopes To Build on Unbeaten 4-0 Record Against Tough Competition at ODU Tournament

By Stephen Owens Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown men’s soccer travels to Norfolk, Va., this weekend to participate in the Old Dominion Stihl Soccer Classic, bringing with it a perfect record and national ranking. Leaving Norfolk with these commodities still intact will be no easy task for the Hoyas, as they face two quality Colonial Athletic Association opponents, William & Mary and Old Dominion, both hungry to put an end to the Hoyas’ undefeated season. After opening up its season with three wins, Georgetown has earned the respect of coaches across the nation, who ranked the Hoyas 13th in the latest NSCAA poll.

Although excited about his team’s new ranking, Head Coach Keith Tabatznik noted the pressures that accompany the prestige.

“It puts a little bit of a bullet in our backs,” he said. “Teams have a little more incentive when they play us now.”

The Hoyas opened their season by winning the D.C. Challenge and then dismissed Rutgers, ranked No. 20 by the NSCAA in its preseason poll, in their Big East opener. Considering the Hoyas’ start this season, Tabatznik was hardly astonished by his team’s ranking.

“I’m not surprised,” he said, “We beat a couple good teams in our first three games,” adding, “[The polls] tend to shake up a bit in the early season.”

Georgetown will first square off against William & Mary today at 5 p.m. The Tribe has been a defensive powerhouse this season, yielding only one goal on eight shots through their first three games. The one goal was a fatal one for the Tribe, however, as they fell to Virginia Tech in their season opener 1-0 despite outshooting the Hokies 21-3.

Leading the Tribe this season is sophomore forward Carlos Garcia, whose four goals and two assists last weekend at the Nike Tribe Soccer Classic earned him tournament most valuable player honors. Additionally, Garcia was named the CAA Player of the Week for his tournament-high 10 points.

On Sunday, the Hoyas take on tournament host Old Dominion, also a member of the CAA. The Monarchs also participated in the Nike Tribe Soccer Classic last weekend as well and came home with a tie and a win, bringing their overall record to 1-1-1.

The Hoyas success against Old Dominion on Sunday will hinge on their ability to contain freshman forward Attila Vendegh, who has accounted for over half of the Monarchs’ goals this season. Two of Vendegh’s three goals have come off of penalty kicks.

Tabatznik believes that the Hoyas can win both games, but that they will need to improve certain aspects of their game in order to do so.

“The next step for us is to be more dangerous in the attack for longer periods of time,” he said. “We’ve shown that we can be dangerous, but we haven’t sustained that for long periods of time.”

Heading into the tournament as the only ranked team, the Hoyas appear to be the favorite to come away with two wins. Tabatznik disagrees.

“All four teams are very, very close to each other,” he said. “It wouldn’t surprise me to see four one-goal games.”