Hoyas Ranked Fifth in Nation

Hoyas Ranked Fifth in Nation

By Pat Rial Special to The Hoya

The Georgetown sailing team demonstrated remarkable ability this weekend while competing in three different regattas. Georgetown is ranked fifth in the nation and expects to make an appearance at nationals this year.

Georgetown captured the win at the Tom Curtis Memorial Regatta for the third straight year under good racing conditions on the Potomac. The Hoyas faced stiff competition from rivals St ary’s (Md.) and Hobart, but managed to beat out second-place Navy by a sizable 19-point margin.

The coed team proved to be as talented as ever and used the home waters to their advantage. The Georgetown team was led by the team of junior Ryan Costello and sophomore Leah Williams who won all three of their races. Also performing well were the teams of senior Ian Burman and junior Gavin Weiss as well as senior Andrew Warner and junior Paige Black. This fall the seasoned coed team has its sights set on the Atlantic Coast Championship, held Nov. 13-14 at various sites along the East Coast.

The Hoyas finished fourth at the Freshmen Groundbreaker regatta at SUNY Maritime. Head Coach Mike Callahan said he was impressed by the performance of freshman Liz Sampson who finished third or better in five of her seven races. The women’s team is not as experienced as in past years, but will be aided by freshmen such as Sampson who demonstrate their ability to compete well on the collegiate level.

The Hoyas were hampered by rough conditions at the MAISA Women’s Singlehanded regatta held at Navy in Annapolis. The windy conditions proved too much for the team to handle as the women had a disappointing finish. However, a welcome surprise for the team was given by freshman Mimi Elliot who finished 16th overall despite the fact that it was only her second time sailing in a laser sailboat. Callahan was pleased with Eliot’s ability to quickly learn the skills needed to handle the smaller laser type of sailboats.

Next weekend the Hoyas are scheduled to compete in three regattas: the Hap Moore Team Race Regatta at the Coast Guard Academy, the Navy Fall Women’s Regatta and the Laser Qualifiers, both at Navy.