Hoyas Split Weekend Tournament

While most freshmen were still adjusting to college life, several of their classmates had no problem fitting in on the soccer field.

After Georgetown (1-1-0) fell 3-0 to No. 23 UNC Greensboro (1-1-0) Friday evening in the James Madison University Tournament, a pair of freshmen connected to give the Hoyas’ their first goal of the young season in a 1-0 win over Marhsall (1-1-0) Sunday afternoon.

Against Marhshall, newcomer Seth C’deBaca took a pass down the wing from junior defender Sean Bellomy in the 77th minute and sent a ball toward the far post. C’deBaca’s cross found the head of fellow freshman forward Chandler Diggs, who knocked the ball past Marshall senior goalkeeper Brad Kennedy for the game’s only score.

C’deBaca and Bellomy – both were credited with assists on the play – had recently entered the game as substitutes.

“Two of our forwards were hurt for the Marshall game. . That let some of the younger guys come on and they did very well,” Head Coach Brian Wiese said. “That’s exciting for us going forward is to see these young guys starting to contribute right away.”

Less than two minutes before Diggs’ goal, Georgetown senior goalkeeper Joe Devine dove and managed to get his fingertips on a Marshall shot to keep the game scoreless. Devine made two saves as he recorded his fourth career shutout.

“I knew I had to make the save to give my team a lot of confidence,” Devine said. “There was no way I was going to let that ball by me. I got a finger to it and just pushed it around the post.”

Wiese also credited the solid defense of sophomore Len Coleman and junior Alex Pangraze for keeping the Thundering Herd scoreless.

Friday against UNC Greensboro, Devine and the Hoyas defense held the Spartans in check for the first 56 minutes. Then, at the 56:01 mark, Spartan junior forward Tebatso Manyama beat Devine to break the scoreless tie.

Then the flood gates opened. Freshman forward Nirav Kadam scored twice in the next 12 minutes to give UNC Greensboro a 3-0 lead. Junior forward Tim Masters assisted on the first two goals and anyama recorded the third assist.

“We certainly didn’t handle the balls from the wide areas very well,” Wiese said. “[UNC Greensboro] had three great crosses with all three goals coming on those balls. We had 12 minutes that just went array.”

The loss ended Georgetown’s four-game winning streak in season openers.

Six of the Hoyas’ 11 freshmen saw action in both games in the JMU tournament. Midfielders Robert Burnett and Mostafa Ebrahimnejad started both matches and Diggs started against arshall.

The freshmen made their presence felt immediately in the offensive third of the field, an area that has been a big question mark lately for Georgetown. The team lost Ricky Schramm, who, with 10 goals, led an offense that was outshot by three shots per game last season, to graduation. The Hoyas outshot both of their opponents 8-7 this weekend, with Ebrahimnejad attempting three shots on Friday and Diggs taking three on Sunday.

This weekend, Georgetown travels to Southern Methodist University in Dallas for the Mi Cocina Soccer Classic, where they will face highly ranked teams Tulsa and SMU. The Golden Hurricane of Tulsa are 2-0-0 on the year and eager to storm into the top 25 – they are currently No. 31. The Mustangs (0-0-1) are ranked eighth in the nation and are coming off a 1-1 tie against No. 12 St. Louis (0-0-1).

“The real benefit of these games is that they’re going to show you what you need to get sorted out,” Wiese said. “They’ll be a good gauge for us.”

No. 3 Virginia will also participate in the Mi Cocina Soccer Classic but will not play Georgetown. Wiese hopes Tulsa and SMU will prepare for their matches against Virginia more than their games against Georgetown.

“In men’s soccer, if you look at the results across the country, anybody can beat anybody at anytime,” Wiese said. “We would hope that Tulsa and SMU are looking at Virginia and don’t know who the fourth team is yet.”

The Hoyas take on Tulsa tonight at 6 p.m. and SMU Sunday at 3:30 p.m. Both games will be played on SMU’s Westcott Field.