Hoyas Squeeze Orange

Hoyas Squeeze Orange

Box Score

By Michael Medici Hoya Staff Writer

Two weeks ago, the Georgetown women’s basketball team’s prospects weren’t looking all that good. Down 21-0 to Rutgers, the No. 15 ranked team in the nation at home it looked like a long and extremely uphill season.

After turning that seemingly insurmountable deficit into a heartbreaking double overtime loss, the Hoyas are 3-0, all conference wins, and suddenly all alone in fifth place in the Big East. The Hoyas extended their win streak to three by beating Syracuse up in New York on Saturday, as the senior leadership head coach Patrick Knapp talked about last week showed up again in the Hoyas 68-63 win.

The Hoyas, who trailed by as much as six in the second half, went on a run from the 15-minute mark on, sparked by senior guard Melba Chambers and sophomore guard Katie Smrcka-Duffy and pulled away to a nine point lead with just over five and a half minutes to play.

Chambers led all scorers with 19 points, and came up huge in the end, as the Orangewomen came back to tie the game at 63 with a minute and a half remaining. Those would be the last points Syracuse scored, though, as Georgetown nailed five foul shots in the final 35 seconds, including two big ones from Chambers with 10 seconds left to secure the win.

Smrcka-Duffy finished up with 18 points on the night and is now No. 23 in the nation in scoring with her 20.7 points per game average. Senior forward Sylita Thomas dropped 12 points and added seven rebounds and is now tied with Ruth Riley of Notre Dame for the conference lead in rebounding.

Georgetown is now fifth in the conference with a 6-6 mark, and is 12-8 overall, already three more wins than they posted in the19 97-1998 campaign.

Besides No. 2 Connecticut at home on Feb. 20, the Hoyas play St. John’s at home, go to Providence, host iami, play at Pittsburgh and play Villanova in the final regular season game at home. All five of those games are winnable for the Hoyas. They have beaten four of them already.

Boston College, who leads the Hoyas by three games, plays three tough games against ranked teams in the next week as it travels to Notre Dame, hosts Rutgers, and goes to Storrs, Conn., to battle Connecticut.

So, with a month remaining in the regular season and the Big East tournament to go, the Hoyas are in a position to make some noise this season. With the leading scorer in the conference in Smrcka-Duffy, the leading rebounder in Thomas and the league’s second best three point shooting percentage on its side, Georgetown faces St. John’s on Wednesday night.

The Hoyas beat the Red Storm in New York City on Jan. 7 59-58. St. John’s is currently eighth in the Big East with a 10-13 record, 5-7 in the Big East, and should pose yet another challenge for the rolling Hoyas.