Hoyas Still Unbeaten After Road Trip

Hoyas Still Unbeaten After Road Trip

GU Takes Down Davidson and Appalachian State

By Julie Wood Special to The Hoya

The Georgetown field hockey team is off to its best start ever under second-year Head Coach Laurie Carroll with a 4-0 record. The Hoyas spent the weekend earning a pair of victories over Davidson College and Appalachian State University, 2-1 and 4-1, respectively.

On Saturday, the Hoyas defeated Davidson in a challenging game.

“Davidson was our strongest opponent so far,” Carroll said. It was the first away game for the team, as well as its first game on grass.

The team rose to the challenge quickly, as senior midfielder Caitlin McLean scored first for the Hoyas nine minutes into the game, her second goal of the season. The second goal, which proved to be the game-winner, was scored by Georgetown freshman forward LeAnne Rizzo at 58:35.

The real challenge of the day, however, was for sophomore goalkeeper Jessica Herring, who was bombarded with 32 shots on goal. Herring had 13 saves, two of which came on Davidson’s penalty strokes. The Wildcats’ only goal came on their third penalty stroke of the game at 61:32. Carroll called Herring’s performace “courageous,” saying that she “got really tested, but just went into a zone, which inspired the defense.” Carroll was very pleased with the team’s performance in the close game against Davidson.

The Hoyas went on to Appalachian State on Sunday to notch yet another win. Freshman midfielder Elena Elster started the contest off well, netting a goal 12 minutes and 30 seconds into play. Appalachian State then scored its only goal off of a penalty corner with no time remaining in the half.

During halftime, Carroll urged the team to forget its frustration over Appalachian State’s last-minute goal and to think of the score as 0-0.

“The team decided to come back after the half and keep moving, keep rolling,” Carroll said.

The Hoyas aggressively pressed the ball in the second half, and it paid off. At 45:10, sophomore forward Michaela Brown scored her first goal of the season. Rizzo netted the next one for the Hoyas, and the win was capped by Elster’s second goal of the game in the 65th minute. Junior forward Aubrey Bruggeman assisted on all three second-half goals. She now leads the team with five assists on the season. The Hoyas took 18 shots on goal in the game versus the ountaineers seven.

Carroll was impressed with the team’s performance on its first road trip. She remarked that the fact that the season has started so well “is a tribute to these young ladies. I knew before the season started that they were a good team, but they really made the decision to be a great team. We don’t have any selfish players. We’ve been able to work with this group and really prepare for the season.”

The Hoyas look to remain undefeated in its next challenge, as they take on Ursinus College Friday at 3:30 p.m.on Kehoe Field.

Related Links

Field Hockey Schedule

Field Hockey Roster