Hoyas Stretch Win Streak

With the Georgetown field hockey team’s 3-1 victory over Virginia Commonwealth, a team that has traditionally defeated Georgetown, Head Coach Laurie Carroll said the team proved “that the 2000 Hoyas are different.” Saturday’s win improved the team’s record to a perfect 8-0,backing up Carroll’s statement.

Freshman back Elena Elster came through for the Hoyas, once again, with a pair of goals, and junior midfielder Aubrey Bruggeman had three assists in the win, keeping the Hoyas undefeated.

Elster put the Hoyas on the board first with a goal in the 19th minute on a penalty corner assisted by Bruggeman and senior midfielder Sarah Oglesby. Three minutes later, freshman forward Leeanne Rizzo netted another one for the Hoyas, assisted by Bruggeman. This marked Rizzo’s fourth goal of the season.

A minute and a half later, with 12:22 left in the half, the Rams answered with their only goal of the game. The score at halftime was 2-1, Georgetown.

In the second half, the Hoyas continued to dominate, taking 10 shots on goal, while VCU got only five. Elster put the game away with 20 minutes left to play when she scored on a penalty corner, again assisted by Bruggeman and Oglesby.

The corner unit of Elster, Bruggeman and Oglesby has provided multiple goals and been particularly effective for the Hoyas, who took eight penalty corners.

Elster leads the team with 20 points on nine goals and two assists. Bruggeman is second with 15 points on two goals and 11 assists.

Sophomore goalkeeper Jessica Herring has continued to perform well for the Hoyas. She saw 13 shots on goal and had nine saves in her eighth win.

“The team played together very well and really followed the game plan. They played with a lot of confidence,” Carroll said.

Carroll also said she feels that the Hoyas need to focus on scoring earlier in the game.

“We’re still working on getting that early start. We need to finish earlier,” she said.

The Hoyas will face a challenge in their matchup against Stanford on Wednesday. The Cardinals’ current record is 4-7, but this is deceiving considering the strength of their opponents.

“Stanford is really a strong team. They play a very competitive schedule and have a winning tradition. It will have to be a great team effort [for the Hoyas to win]. But with Jess Herring in the cage and [junior back] Bridget McConnell holding it down on defense, we feel confident,” Carroll said.

The Hoyas will face the Cardinals tomorrow at 4 p.m. on Kehoe Field.

Related Links

Field Hockey Schedule

Field Hockey Roster