Hoyas Successful On the Water Over the Weekend

By Ed Przylucki Hoya Staff Writer

After finishing a disappointing sixth at the season-opening regatta last week, the Georgetown sailing team looked to reclaim the form that helped them earn the No. 2 spot in the preseason coed national rankings. Judging by this past weekend’s performances at four regattas, the Hoyas are right back on top. With three top-four finishes, including a win at the Riley Cup, Georgetown has once again forced the collegiate sailing community to take notice of Hoya sailing.

The first of the four regattas was the Riley Cup, held at Old Dominion. For the third straight year, Georgetown came away with a first-place finish thanks to strong showings by both boats sailing for the Hoyas. In the A-division, the team of junior Brian Bissell and senior Gavin Weiss cruised to an easy victory, while freshman Tyler Haskell and senior Dana Scalere kept pace in the B-division.

“We dominated the entire regatta from start to finish,” Head Coach Mike Callahan said. “Nobody came close. This was Haskell’s first college regatta, and for him to come away with a win like that is very impressive.”

The win helps Georgetown qualify for the War Memorial Regatta, held in October, an important regatta which helps determine the team’s schedule for next season.

At Dartmouth, the Captain Hurst Trophy Regatta was sailed with nine of the top 10 teams in the nation competing. Georgetown captured fourth overall, with a fifth-place finish in the A-division and a third-place showing in the B-division.

“We finished fourth overall,” Callahan said, “but we beat out every team in our district. To do that makes us very confident in our chances of qualifying for a few more national championships.”

Sailing for the Hoyas were seniors John Camera and Baye Emery in the A-division and juniors Ken Ward and Leah Williams in the B-division.

The Bronco Intersectional, held at the University of Western ichigan, was perhaps Georgetown’s most exciting regatta of the weekend. Finishing second behind Boston College, Georgetown finished only three points out of first place after making a strong run late in the weekend. In the A-division, juniors Curtis Flood and Kat Penberthy finished in first place, while sophomore Byron LaMotte and junior Melanie Wood placed second in the B-division. In the end, the Hoyas were unable to surpass Boston College, but Callahan was very pleased with the effort.

“I was very excited with the way Flood and Penberthy sailed. They showed a lot of improvement which should help us as the season goes on,” Callahan said.

The final regatta of the weekend, the MAISA Laser Opener at the United States Naval Academy, saw Georgetown senior Ryan Costello qualify for yet another national championship regatta. Last year, Costello became the first sailor in school history to qualify for two championships in a single season. So far this season, he is showing signs of a repeat. Finishing in fifth place was good enough for Costello to qualify for the MAISA District Singlehanded Championships.

“Overall we had a great weekend,” Callahan said. “Costello qualifying for the District Championships was the high point, but everybody sailed extremely well. I’m really excited about the season, and I think we have a legitimate shot at more than one national championship at this point.”

With four regattas this weekend, the Hoyas have ample opportunity to make a claim for the number one ranking in the country. Georgetown will be competing in the Nevins Trophy Regatta at King’s Point, the Mrs. Hurst Bowl Regatta at Dartmouth, the cCurdy Invitational at Delaware University and the Loyola Open at Loyola of Marlyand.

Related Links

Coed Sailing Schedule

Women’s Sailing Schedule