Hoyas Sweep Home Tourney

Playing through heat was tough enough for the teams at the Georgetown Classic. Winning a match against Georgetown proved to be tougher.

For the three-day tournament Georgetown played host to George Washington University, Goucher College, Howard University, Johns Hopkins University and Marist College. The Hoyas’ upperclassmen captured titles in the four main draws.

Georgetown dominated the men’s championship matches – both the singles and doubles championship matches pitted Hoya against Hoya. Senior captain Jeff Schnell beat sophomore teammate Anthony Muki Tan 6-2, 7-5 for the men’s singles championship. Schnell then paired with junior Kevin Walsh to win the men’s doubles, beating Georgetown senior Etienne Paris and junior Kenneth Wong.

“Jeff did a really good job leading us and setting the tone with his play,” said senior Ted Tywang, who is a HOYA SPORTS columnist. Tywang dominated in a 6-0, 6-1 match before losing a close three-setter to Marist sophomore Christian Coley.

Head Coach Gordie Ernst said his team seemed to be “in tournament shape.” He noted that many on the squad have gained experience and improved their fitness levels by competing in various tournaments during the off-season.

The Hoyas also have the advantage of returning all but one member from last year’s squad, with only Bert Baggio lost to graduation. As Tywang pointed out, the team will “have the same core group of guys,” but each will have a year more of experience going into this season.

Freshman Tim Walsh and sophomore brothers Paul and William Doucas comprise this year’s newcomers. In the Georgetown Classic, Walsh, who is the younger brother of Kevin, beat George Washington sophomore Ryan Schlachter in a match that Coach Ernst highlighted as “a good win.” Tim Walsh was one of three Hoyas to beat a Colonial, but he fell to Schnell in his next match.

On the women’s side, junior Courtney Olsen continued to lead the team, decimating Marist’s top-seeded player, senior Christine Ong, in the championship match. Ong went undefeated in the MAAC last season but could not match Olsen’s “toughness,” according to Ernst. Olsen won in only two sets by a score of 6-1, 6-1.

Senior captain Liz Winokur and classmate Stephanie Cohen won the women’s doubles draw, beating Marist senior Erin Godly and sophomore Alexa Strange. Winokur and Cohen pulled out a win in the tight eight-game pro-set match, winning 9-7. It was another display of the “early season toughness,” Ernst said, that the team first displayed in last weekend’s tournament at Charleston College.

The four freshmen continued to put up a fight in all their matches. Freshman Caroline Kuehn battled Olsen in a tough three-setter, falling to the eventual champion 6-0 in the last set. Freshman Maxi Thiels won the women’s singles consolation draw. Together, Kuehn and Thiels beat Marist freshman Natalie Fouche and junior Emily Zeppelin before losing to Godly and Strange, who advanced to the championship.

Ernst said the key to the women’s success was consistency. The success this weekend and last weekend’s victory are good starting points for the season. The women won the singles and doubles championship titles at that tournament as well. The quick improvement has been powered by surprising performances from both the upper- and underclassmen. The women play George Washington and ary Washington this weekend.

While the women have started fresh, dismissing last year’s losing record, the men have ridden the momentum of a 10-8 record from last year into this season.

“Last year we played some close matches against good teams that gave us the feeling we could compete with them,” Tywang said. “This year we don’t want to play them close. We want to win.”

Last year’s winning record earned the men’s side an invitation to the prestigious ECAC tournament that will be held in Flushing Meadow, N.Y., this upcoming weekend. Competing in the tournament will be the top 16 teams from the Northeast, including all eight Ivy League schools. It will be some of the strongest competition Georgetown has faced and will be held at the same courts on which the U.S. Open is played.

Said Ernst: “[It is] a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”