Hoyas Take Title At Home Invite

A one-sided shutout and an overtime thriller were the winning formula for the Hoyas last weekend, as two home-field wins carried Georgetown women’s soccer to victory at the 2005 Hoya Classic.

Georgetown defeated Iona College 3-0 on Saturday, but the next day required a golden goal for a 3-2 win over St. Joseph’s University on Sunday.

Head Coach Dave Nolan was delighted with the two victories. “It was a good tournament with good-quality soccer,” he said. “We played well enough to win.”

The Hoyas had their most “complete” game of the season against Iona, according to Nolan, as their finishing showed vast improvements from earlier games, with 12 shots on goal in the first half versus Iona’s two.

The offensive attacks paid dividends when, in the 39th minute, Hoya junior midfielder Chrissy Skogen opened the scoring with an assist from sophomore Sarah Jordan.

Skogen was in the action again three minutes later, scoring an unassisted goal, as Georgetown went into halftime with a comfortable 2-0 lead. The second half saw a solid performance from the Hoya defense, as Iona had only four shots on goal.

Senior forward Shara McNeil put the game well out of the Gaels’ reach as she scored an unassisted goal in the 86th minute on the counter attack.

“This is the most solid we’ve played,” Nolan said of the first game.

The Hoyas’ renewed confidence showed on Sunday against the St. Joseph’s Hawks, as they won a corner in just the second minute of the game.

It was St. Joseph’s who scored first, however, and on its very first attack of the game. Poor defending allowed junior forward Megan Schutt to cross the ball in for junior forward Nancy Cook, who had a simple tap-in at the near post.

The rest of the first half saw the Hawks dominate. In the 35th minute they should have doubled their advantage, but the header from St. Joe’s senior midfielder Alisha Paine sailed just wide of the post.

The equalizing goal for the Hoyas came from freshman Alex Gargano in the 42nd minute, as an attempted cross from the right flank dipped in beautifully and beat the goalkeeper.

The Hoyas were quick to attack again and scored within two minutes via an indirect free kick. A one-two of freshman forward Brittany Berry and sophomore midfielder Sarah Jordan led to Skogen’s third goal in as many days, and put the Hoyas up 2-1.

Nolan was happy with how the team bounced back from the one-goal deficit. “I give the team credit,” he said. “They bounced back well.”

The second half saw attacking soccer from both teams. In the 52nd minute, Hawks junior Jayne Read capitalized on a bad back pass and miscommunication between sophomore Hoya defender Vanessa Joyce and sophomore goalkeeper Jade Higgins. Read easily scooped the ball over Higgins’ head to equalize.

Nolan said he was not too happy with how the Hawks scored their two goals.

“We gave soft goals,” he said. “It was disappointing. We’re a bit of a charity, but managed to dig ourselves out of a hole.”

The equalizing goal sparked off intense attacks from both teams, with the Hoyas’ best chance coming in the 57th minute as senior Alexandra Hardy tipped a stinging shot over the crossbar.

The Hawks could have taken the lead eight minutes later, but a nicely executed free kick hit the post and ricocheted to a Hawks player who couldn’t get past Higgins.

The intensity of the game continued well into the last minute of regulation, and St. Joseph’s could have sealed a memorable victory when, with just 10 seconds to go, the ball was crossed in but successfully stopped by Higgins.

Thus, with the score at 2-2 in regulation time, the game went into overtime. The Hoyas were quick to get off the blocks and, in the second minute, Skogen sent the Hoya fans into delirium, after heading a ball in from Jordan’s corner.

Nolan was impressed with Skogen’s four goals in the two games. “[She] stepped up well and is a very talented player,” he said. “She also has a big impact on the team.”

He still believes the team can improve, however.

“We are still a young team and learning to win and still trying to figure out what kind of game to play,” Nolan said. “We are improving, but I feel we take two steps forward and then one step backward.”

The Hoyas play host to American University tomorrow at 3 p.m. on North Kehoe Field.