Hoyas Take Top Spot at Invitational

The Georgetown women’s golf team hosted the Hoya Invitational this weekend in Leesburg, Va., and made it a true Hoya weekend, defeating 15 tough schools including Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Harvard and Boston College. The men, however, did not come out of the weekend with as much success, as they finished eighth out of 16 teams at the Bradford Creek Intercollegiate tournament in Greenville, N.C.

“They all [the girls] worked really hard this spring, they played well, and it paid off,” Acting Head Coach Connie Isler said.

Led by senior Christy Larrimore, the Hoyas won the team championship by shooting a two-day total of 612, a combined 36 over par. Larrimore, the 2003 and 2004 team MVP, shot a 1-under-par 143 for the tournament and ran away with the individual title. Shooting a 73 on Saturday and then a 2-under 70 on Sunday, the senior captain outpaced three second-place finishers by 10 strokes.

“She was absolutely amazing,” Isler said. “She was very focused and really wanted to win because it was her last home tournament. She was even more fired up because she didn’t play as well as she would have liked last weekend in California.I couldn’t have asked for more.”

Fellow senior Nicole Hayashi, who led the Hoyas in the Anteater Invitational two weeks ago, finished in fifth place after shooting 77 on both days of the tournament. Sophomore Jenna Winokur shot a four-over-par 76 on Sunday to finish in seventh place, and freshman Chelsea Curtis ended up in 15th place with consecutive rounds of 80.

Finally, sophomore Stephanie Cope and freshman Brittany Skoda tied for 22nd place overall.

The win last weekend was Georgetown’s second of the season, matching their combined total over the last four seasons. For Isler, a 2005 Georgetown graduate, the team’s progress could not be more impressive.

“The season’s been going great,” she said. “It’s been everything I’ve expected.”

On the men’s side, the University of Akron won the Bradford Creek tourney with a combined score of 8-over-par 872. St. John’s came in second – seven strokes behind Akron – while the Hoyas finished in the middle of the pack, coming in eighth place out of 16 schools. Junior Matt Busa led the charge for Georgetown, finished the tournament in third place at 3-under-par, and was tied for the lead going into the final round. Unfortunately, two Akron golfers, Vaughn Snyder and David Addison, narrowly edged Busa for the top two spots by a combined three strokes.

Sophomore John Jamgochian, came in second place for the Hoyas and 20th overall. Senior Matt Myers placed 44th overall, and senior David Erickson tied for 64th with freshman Patrick Sherry to round out the Georgetown squad.

Next weekend, the men travel to New Jersey to participate in the Princeton Invitational, while the women will compete in the Bonnie Hoover Invitational in Harrisonburg, Va.