Hoyas Win Eighth Straight

The Hoyas successfully overcame two more obstacles against Fairfield University last weekend , playing through injuries and inclement weather to gain their third conference win of 2006 and third road win of the year.

Neither the rain and sleet nor a goalless first quarter could stop Georgetown, ranked No. 2 by Inside Lacrosse magazine and No. 3 by USILA, which emerged with a 10-5 win on Saturday afternoon.

The win was the eighth in a row for the Hoyas, whose record now stands at 8-1 and 3-0 in the ECAC. The winning streak is Georgetown’s longest since it opened the 1999 season 8-0. Following the loss, Fairfield fell below .500 for the first time this season, dropping to 4-5 and 2-2 in the conference.

Despite his team’s hot streak, Head Coach Dave Urick said the Hoyas would continue to focus on improving their play.

“It’s too easy to sit back and look at where we’re at,” Urick said. “We can’t think about leveling off yet. We’re playing well enough to win, but we’re not playing great lacrosse.

In the first quarter, both teams struggled to find the back of the net, and the Hoyas did not score, although they outshot the Stags 15-6. Fairfield finally jumped out to a 1-0 lead at 5:33 on an unassisted goal from junior attacker Mike Bocklet before Georgetown responded with four consecutive goals in the second quarter and took a 4-2 lead into halftime.

“Some of [the shots] weren’t great shots, but we did have some good ones,” Urick said. “Their goalie [junior ike Kruger] kicked out a few that I’d like to think we would score on. He made some big saves throughout the whole game. We told our guys to keep firing away and shoot for good shots.”

Sophomore attacker Brendan Cannon tied the game just over two minutes into the second stanza, and four minutes later sophomore attacker Andy Baird and fifth-year senior midfielder Mike White scored back-to-back goals just 15 seconds apart to give Georgetown a 3-1 advantage.

Urick said that Cannon “wasn’t always making great decisions out there, but he made enough really good decisions to have a good day for himself. He tries to get a little too precise at times, but it’s a bottom line thing. The bottom line is he’s doing a real nice job for us.”

For the second week in a row, the Hoyas took control of the game during the third quarter. Senior attacker Sean Denihan scored at 12:47 to give Georgetown a three-goal lead before Fairfield came back just 14 seconds later. But Cannon’s second goal and junior attacker Trevor Casey’s second and third tallies put the Hoyas up by five soon enough, giving the defense a lead that it could defend well.

Cannon’s five points give him a team-leading 29 on the season, with Casey standing second in goals with 13 and third in total points with 16.

Fifth-year senior Rich D’Andrea started in goal for the Hoyas in place of injured sophomore Miles Kass for the second game in a row. D’Andrea made four saves in the game while facing relatively light work, as Fairfield put only seven of 23 shots on net. Though Kass is still sidelined with a leg injury, and D’Andrea is eager to return to his defensive midfield position, the Hoyas have also been beset by other injuries.

Several veterans, including senior defenders John Trapp and Rob Smith and senior midfielder and co-captain Pete Cannon have all missed practice time this week, but Urick said that he hopes to have his roster at full strength in the coming weeks.

After being outshot last week against Navy, Georgetown held a significant 48-23 margin in shots on Saturday. The team also controlled the faceoff `X’ – junior midfielder Christiaan Trunz won 15-of-18 and picked up five of the Hoyas’ 40 total ground balls, helping his team control possession throughout the contest.

“Not only was [Christian] 15 out of 18, but he was the high ground ball guy. That bodes well for us if he can control [the ground balls] himself,” Urick said.

White was also strong on the wing, taking advantage of his speed to scoop a ground ball and racing down the field to net a second-quarter goal.

At the start of the fourth quarter on Saturday, Fairfield attempted one final comeback with a quick goal to start the period before White’s second goal of the game and another from junior midfielder Garrett Wilson helped close out the victory. The Stags did replicate their first-half feat, however, by adding a final goal in the last minute of the half.

“We give up some goals after we work hard to get it on the ground [on defense]. We need to be better at getting it up and getting it out. We just give up too many opportunities where the other team has another shot at it. And obviously we need a little bit better execution on offense,” he added.

This week, the Hoyas go back on the road to Baltimore, where they will face Loyola College on April 15. Following a 9-4 win over Rutgers last Saturday, the Greyhounds are 4-4 overall (3-1 ECAC) and undefeated at home in three contests. Game time is scheduled for 1 p.m.