Hoyas Without a Prayer vs. Quakers

Hoyas Without a Prayer vs. Quakers

By Meredith McCloskey Hoya Staff Writer

Getting their first serving of Ivy League competition in over six years, the Georgetown men’s and women’s swim teams were both left with a bitter taste. Both were defeated this past weekend by the University of Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia. The men’s team lost to the Quakers 172-112. Having yet to claim a victory this season, the men are 0-5. The women’s team lost, 182-109, and are now at 2-4.

Sophomore Chris Lengle led the way for the men during the 16-event meet. Lengle captured both the sprinting events, winning the 50-yard freestyle in 21.92 and the 100-yard freestyle in 47.60. He also placed second in the 200-yard individual medley with a time of 2:00.48.

Other wins came from freshman diver Brett Daggett in the one-meter (138.55) and three-meter (150.76) events, and junior Rich Dennis, who edged out the opposition in the 200-yard breaststroke to win in 2:16.13.

Two impressive swims came from freshman Bryan Evangelista in both butterfly events. Evangelista took second in the 100-yard butterfly in 53.01, less than one second away from the Georgetown record. Evangelista also took third in the 200-yard butterfly and swam in both the 200 medley and 200 freestyle relays.

Senior co-captain John Willey placed second in the 200-yard freestyle in a time of 1:46.38 and the 500-yard freestyle in 4:54.17.

The women’s team’s only wins came in diving events. Sophomore Allison Linden won the one-meter event with 182.02 points and sophomore Rene Pierpont took the three-meter event with 199.88 points. Season bests came from sophomore Lauren Schmidt in both butterfly events. Schmidt placed second in both the 200-yard butterfly in 2:14.8 and the 100-yard butterfly in 1:00.6.

Freshman Liz D’Auria also had a personal best, placing second in the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 25.57. The 200 freestyle relay team of freshman Erin Lenahan, sophomore Sophia Adkison, D’Auria and Schmidt were touched out of first place by the Quakers by one one-hundredth of a second, also missing the Georgetown record by less than a second.

“The first half of the season has been tough. I could have put teams of lesser quality on our schedule, but I know they can compete against teams like this. Maybe not the first time out, but in the future, we will be able,” said Coach Bower.

According to Bower, the team is swimming at a higher lever than it ever has before. The team will train more intensely as the end of the semester progresses. After a training trip to Florida in early January, the Hoyas will resume competition against teams such as Providence, St. Francis and Howard, confident that they will attain victory.