Interhall Announces Campus-Wide Monthly Awards

Tombs to Contribute $20 Gift Certificates for September Staff Winners

By Heather Murphy Special to the Hoya

The InterHall Executive Committee selected the recipients of its first Awards and Honors Program for Outstanding Achievement. An independent student organization that promotes student involvement in residential communities, InterHall began the awards program in September.

Every month, InterHall recognizes one on-campus resident, support staff person, residence assistant, apartment assistant or program.

The September awards went to Henle Apartment Assistant Jeanene itchell (SFS ’02), New South Resident Assistant Jacques Arsenault (COL ’01), LXR Resident Tony Cani (COL ’02), Zone Manager-in-Maintenance Pat Hughes, and the Great Expectations Dance sponsored by the Community Councils of Harbin, New South and Village C.

The criteria for selection of individuals includes how nominees exceed the basic requirements of their positions, if and for what nominees utilize available resources, if nominees have a positive impact on other individuals and the university as a whole and how nominees demonstrate leadership, organizational skills and creativity, said Vice President for Awards and Honors Japa Pallikkathayil (COL’01).

The Tombs donated $20 gift certificates to accompany the awards for AA, RA, resident and Support Staff person in September.

“The goal is to award people for doing outstanding things and to foster a sense of achievement, to publicize the things people are doing and to cause others to want to get involved,” Pallikkathayil said.

Pallikkathayil said the InterHall Recognition Committee, which is composed of members of InterHall and dorm presidents, evaluates the nominations before they are voted on by the InterHall Executive Board.

According to New South RA Amy Bouchard (MSB ’01), who works with Arsenault as an RA in New South, Arsenault fulfilled all of these criteria in September.

“Jacques is the type of person who will make all possible effort to make sure things are going well for you. His residents agree he is incredible,” Bouchard said.

“We try to take a holistic approach to the awards, and look if they are involved in other campus organizations,” said Pallikkathayil.

The names of those awarded in upcoming months will be posted on the InterHall website, which is now under construction, as well as on the InterHall office bulletin board located in New South, according to Pallikkathayil.

Any member of the university community may nominate an individual or program for an award by completing a nomination form available in the InterHall office.