Ivy Rowers Outpace Georgetown

In their first weekend against stiff competition, the Georgetown crew teams had a rough time of it, especially against the Princeton Tigers.

On Saturday the men’s heavyweight team lost three of four races to Cornell University while the lightweights were swept by Princeton in the Fosburgh Cup race.

“The heavyweights and freshmen just didn’t row fast enough,” Head Coach Tony Johnson said. “But it is still very early in the season and I expect them to improve. We will get better.”

Johnson stressed that the weekend’s races were the first serious competition for the teams and his squads will not begin to show their true colors for another two or three weeks.

At the Cayuga Lake inlet against Cornell, the first three races of the day spelled heartbreak for Georgetown. The Hoyas rowed close to the Big Red’s pace all day, losing the first three races by a combined seven seconds in the day’s 2000-meter course.

“The margins were not that big [against Cornell]. It is still very early in the season for the heavyweights and the heavyweights are a very young team,” Johnson said.

The first race of the day was a portent of things to come; the freshman-eight rowed a respectable 6:15.4 in vain as Cornell edged them out by 2.3 seconds with a time of 6:13.1.

The subsequent race was no better for the Hoyas, as the varsity-eight fell by a mere 3.3 seconds to Cornell’s 6:09.1.

The Georgetown men lost the third race of the day by 4.3 seconds.

The second freshman-four would have no part in the pattern of losses; Georgetown’s boat easily outraced the Cornell team by 26.5 seconds with a time of 7:07.5.

Despite the series of close losses, Johnson said, “I look forward to racing them again at the end of the year during championship time.”

Princeton barely defeated Georgetown to win the Fosburgh Cup on Lake Carnegie, sweeping the day’s three lightweight races.

The Hoyas began the day within reach but soon faltered, losing their second and third races by nine and 13 seconds, respectively.

“The difficulty with lightweights is that everybody is the same size so little differences turn into significant results,” Johnson said, adding that those little differences could translate into “larger margins.”

Unlike the Cornell races, which were close all day, Georgetown was quickly outclassed by Princeton.

The varsity-eight rowed a time of 5:52.5, only 4.7 seconds behind Princeton’s winning time. The second varsity-eight race saw Princeton’s second and third varsity boats sweep the top-two spots with times of 6:14.7 and 6:23.6 respectively, both superior to Georgetown’s only time of 6:27.6.

Despite the results, Johnson was quick to note that there were no systemic problems with the races this weekend.

“They [Cornell and Princeton] just rowed faster than us and hopefully we’ll improve,” he said.

The women’s crew won one race out of seven on Saturday when the lightweight team was swept by Radcliffe College and the heavyweights fell to Princeton in a quad race against Columbia, and Rutgers as well.

The meet against the classic rowing powers of the Ivy League and Rutgers was the first real test for the women’s boats in their third race of the year.

As if they were following the men’s cue, the heavyweight women finished behind the Tigers of Princeton in ever race, beginning with the varsity-eight where they finished 30 seconds behind Princeton and in third place. In the other two races in which Georgetown competed, the women fell by seven and 11 seconds in the varsity-four and second freshman-eight races, respectively.

The best showing by the women came in the varsity-four boat, in which their finish time of 7:40.6 was an unlucky seven seconds behind Princeton’s 7:33.6.

Excepting the seven-second win over Georgetown, Princeton handily won every other race, averaging a 16-second win in each of the other five races.

The lightweight team had less success than their open counterparts, falling to Radcliffe College in three of their four races to lose the Class of 2004 Cup at the Charles River Basin.

The Hoyas were consistently at least 10 seconds behind in the choppy conditions and came closest in the freshman-four boat with a time of 9:09.1 to Radcliffe’s 8:59.5.

The next women’s races will be held next weekend at the Knecht Cup Regatta in Camden, N.J., for both heavy and lightweights while the men’s heavyweights take to the water on Saturday against George Washington and the lightweights square off against Harvard, Delaware and Rutgers in West Windsor, N.J.