Lehigh Puts Georgetown Away in Fourth Quarter

With a comeback in their grasp, the Hoyas let it slip through.

Down 11 points early in the fourth quarter, junior running back Erik Carter’s fumble close to the end zone sealed Georgetown’s (1-5, 0-3 PL) fourth-straight defeat, which dropped Saturday’s contest to Lehigh (2-3, 1-0 PL) 28-3 at the Multi Sport Facility.

“We self-destructed in the fourth quarter with turnovers,” Georgetown Head Coach Kevin Kelly said. “There are positives, and that gets old, but we’ve got to keep building on it and correct the mistakes we made.”

The crucial juncture in the game came with 14:45 left in the fourth quarter. Down 14-3, the Hoyas, under the direction of junior quarterback Matt Bassuener had driven down to the Mountain Hawk 21-yard line and seemed poised to close the gap. After gaining six yards on the play, a Lehigh defender stripped the football from Carter and the Mountain Hawks recovered at its own seven-yard line.

After the fumble, Lehigh pieced together a back-breaking 93-yard drive to put the game out of reach, and sap the spirit of Georgetown. They added another fourth quarter touchdown once the outcome seemed already decided.

“That’s the story of our team right now,” Bassuener said. “It starts with mistakes. We moved the ball, but it comes down to execution like coach always says.”

The game began slowly for the Hoyas. After going three-and-out on their opening drive, they punted to the ountain Hawks, who came out firing. Junior quarterback Sedale Threatt ran a bootleg to the right side, evaded two tackles and found sophomore tight end Troy Healion in the end zone 14 yards away for the early 7-0 advantage.

The Hoyas responded on the ensuing drive. Though they averaged less than 4.5 yards per play, the drive was a methodical 15-play, 61-yard sequence that resulted in a field goal. It proved to be Georgetown’s only sustained drive of the first half. It was also the Hoyas’ first field goal of the season.

Shortly before the break, Lehigh drove deep within Hoya territory and faced first and 10 at the 12-yard line. Threatt rolled right, as he had on nearly every attempt in the game, and was hit by junior linebacker Stephen Smith jarring the ball loose. Georgetown recovered with 1:46 left and appeared ready to run the clock out and enter halftime behind only 7-3. But a quick three-and-out by the Hoyas gave the ball back to Lehigh on Georgetown’s 27-yard line with 42 second to go.

With no timeouts, it took just four efficient plays for Threatt to find senior wide receiver Frank Trovato on a two-yard touchdown pass. The score not only gave the Mountain Hawks a 14-3 advantage to take into the locker rooms, it also provided a decided momentum edge entering the second half.

“That touchdown before half was the best thing that could have happened to us,” Lehigh Head Coach Andy Coen said. “It gave us some breathing room heading into the second half.”

With both teams struggling with penalties and turnovers in the third quarter, the teams entered the fourth quarter at 14-3. That’s when senior running back Marques Thompson took over. A Baltimore native, Thompson tore up an over-worked Hoya defense, rushing for 49 yards and two scores in the fourth quarter alone.

“We were dedicated to the run the whole game,” Thompson said. “At the end there, I think we just ran [the defense] down.” Amidst all the discussion about Georgetown turnovers, the Hoyas’ offensive woes can easily become lost. Before a 39-yard completion by sophomore quarterback Ben Hostetler against Lehigh back-ups, the Hoyas had passed for a meager 49 yards. Even more concerning was their lack of big play potential, with Bassuener’s longest completion of the day going for 10 yards.

Senior defensive end Alex Buzbee put the challenge to the Hoyas to rebound after Saturday’s loss.

“The game is like a rollercoaster,” Buzbee said. “When you hit the low spots, its how you react to those. When things are going good its easy but then you get a fumble or they make a play, its how you react to that.

“That’s what makes you a good team or a great team, how you react to that adversity.”

The Hoyas will look to climb out of their current four-game hole on Saturday when they play host to Patriot League rival Bucknell (3-3, 0-1). Kick-off is scheduled for 1:00 at the Multi Sport Facility.