Let People get to Know the Real You

Three years ago this weekend I began my Georgetown experience. I waited in line in the parking lot just like you are now, reading The Hoya and anxiously counting the seconds until I could move into my room in Village C.

That weekend – much like my freshman year as a whole – had its ups and downs. My dream college dorm turned out to be a small, cinder block-walled cell, but I had a great time living – and partying – with the boys of Village C East’s third floor.

I learned that I never again want to spend my nights bowing before my porcelain god.

I embarrassed myself in front of just about every girl in the class of 2000 before finally succeeding in wooing Alex, my girlfriend of almost three years.

However, there is one thing I would like to tell you all as you stride into your freshman year on the Hilltop: Cut the crap.

I don’t intend for this to be mean. And I don’t really direct this solely at freshmen – it goes for Hoya veterans as well.

Cut the crap.

Don’t try to pretend that you are more than you are. Don’t put on a smarmy personality in order to convince us all that you’re cool. Just be you. We assume you’re cool already. After all, you made it to GU …

New Student Orientation weekend is a great time. It’s one of the few times in life where you can go talk to anybody without being embarrassed about not knowing them – and you should do this. This is how you meet people. Just be yourself. Don’t act like Joe Cool – it ain’t necessary. Don’t strut across Copley Lawn like you own the place – you don’t (although, for a few million, you could put your name on it …).

In my three years at Georgetown, I’ve come to learn that if students were to hold fewer pretensions about who they are and what they do, they would no doubt feel better about themselves – and others would feel better around them.

So you were a valedictorian in high school. Sorry, but high school is over. You’re a Hoya now, just like everyone else.

And put those political dreams aside, kiddo – everyone here thinks they’re going to be the secretary of state. Or a senator. Or president.

Instead, when you introduce yourself to Georgetown, cut the crap and let us know who you are.

“Hi, I’m Jim Di Liberto – a loudmouthed, bitter Long Island-bred computer geek with serious apprehension issues when dealing with the opposite sex. I like to call it like I see it, and I hate the self-righteous, especially when it turns out to be me.”

Wow. That feels better. Now you try.

So many people I’ve met at this school seem so preoccupied with their public image that they never express who they actually are. They are so concerned with their future political career or obsessed by their ideals that they are unable to laugh at themselves or even shed their sanitized-for-the-public skin. Talking to them is like talking to a merry-go-round; they go round and round without ever going anywhere. We can be so eager to impress people and placate them that we never let ourselves jump into the conversation.

As any one of my past roommates can tell you, I’m up front with my opinions. I hold little back, and when I think something is crap, I say so. I hate dancing around the issue. And when I encounter new people, they meet “Real World” Jim, not the “Road to the White House” cardboard cutout Jim.

Welcome to Georgetown. It’s not “Animal House,” but it’s not a political campaign either. You all know about me; now let the hilltop know the real you – not the one you think the hilltop wants to know. Be adventurous – college will always surprise you.

James Di Liberto, Jr. is a contributing editor for The Hoya and a senior in the College.