Let the Madness Begin

The dawning of a new basketball season is nearly upon us: idnight Madness is only a week and a half away.

The Georgetown men’s and women’s basketball teams will kickoff their upcoming seasons with the third-straight year of idnight Madness in McDonough Gymanisum on Friday, October 13th. Hoyas are already anxious for the upcoming season after last year’s successful showing, which saw the first appearance in the Sweet 16 for the men’s team since 2001.

The odds are good that this year’s Midnight Madness will be well attended. For that reason, the Georgetown Athletic Department and Hoya Blue should be prepared for anything, including unusually large crowds.

Already this year, the university has experienced an unexpectedly high demand for student season tickets. Upperclassmen panicked at the fact that a disproportionately high amount of tickets went to freshmen, and the remaining tickets sold out in a matter of days. The same high demand could plague Midnight Madness, where large numbers could make for a disorganized, chaotic event unless the event is properly planned and adequately staffed.

This is not to say that there is a lack of planning involved in the preparations for Midnight Madness. The Athletic Department and Hoya Blue are in the midst of preparing for this year’s adness to include many events both inside and outside of McDonough Arena, including a rock-climbing wall, video games on big-screen TVs, giveaway prizes and free food provided by the Georgetown University Grilling Society. These new additions should make the adness even more popular this year than it was last year.

We applaud the efforts by the Athletic Department and Hoya Blue to bring us the best Midnight Madness yet. A well-organized idnight Madness, however, will help to provide the Hoyas with another exciting and successful season.