Madness for More Hoyas

We all fondly remember last year’s Midnight Madness. That is, all of us who were lucky enough to get a seat in McDonough Gymnasium.

Last year’s festivities had all the usual highlights, but what seemed to be missing from the experience was a large chunk of the student body. That’s because large numbers of feverish and ticked-off fans were locked out of McDonough simply because there was no longer room in the 2,500-seat gymnasium.

So who, might you ask, was occupying those precious spectator seats in McDonough?

Since the stadium was filled on a first-come, first-served basis, it’s likely that many of the seats went to parents (especially since Midnight Madness conveniently falls on Parents’ Weekend every year) and other fans. And while we gladly welcome support from the community, Midnight Madness should primarily be a chance for the students to support their team in kicking-off the first official NCAA practice. Students can’t support very well across the parking lot and through the double doors of the gymnasium; they should get first dibs on witnessing their team in action.

This year, however, you can stop waving your angry fists and leave your battle armor at home because the Athletic Department has finally devised a way to ensure that students who want a seat to the season’s biggest pep rally can get one . Starting at 6:45 p.m. this evening, tickets will be distributed in front of cDonough on a first-come first-served basis to students only until the line ends or the tickets run out. Students can then stay to enjoy the atmosphere in McDonough parking lot until doors open at 8:45 p.m. This will ensure that the gymnasium is bursting at the seams with the teams’ biggest fans – the students.

This positive procedural change comes at a crucial time in Hoya basketball history, given the team’s success last year and also that ESPN will be broadcasting live (albeit on the elusive ESPNU) from McDonough tonight. This is our chance to show a national audience just how fierce Hoya Fever really can be and how dedicated and loyal our student body is. We applaud the Athletic Department for once again taking big strides toward improving students’ basketball experience and look forward to starting the 2007-2008 season with a slam dunk.