Men’s Golf Snags Big East Championship

The Georgetown men’s golf team completed their fall season this past weekend by winning the Big East Conference Championship for the first time in school history. The Hoyas, playing at one of their home courses, the Tournament Players Club at Avenel in Potomac, Md., also had four players place in the top 20. With a team score of 614, the Hoyas captured the conference title by three strokes. Defending champion Notre Dame and St. John’s tied for second with scores of 617. Seton Hall, often a challenging competitor for the Hoyas in several other tournaments this season, came in fourth with a score of 622. Connecticut was a distant fifth with a team score of 646. Rutgers (649), Boston College (650), Villanova (657) and Providence (679) rounded out the conference scores. Last year, the Hoyas finished tied for third place in the Big East Tournament, two strokes behind Seton Hall and 34 strokes behind dominant Notre Dame. Freshman Andreas Huber brought home first-place honors for the second time this season. Huber shot 69 and 72 to finish 1-under-par at 141, setting the previous record for a Big East Tournament at TPC Avenel and outdistancing his nearest competitor by seven strokes. It was the first individual title in Georgetown history. Huber’s first-day mark of 69 tied a single-day conference record set by Connecticut’s Brian Ahern in 1994. Huber’s only other first-place finish was at the Hoya Invitational in September in Leesburg, Va. Huber finished the weekend seven strokes ahead of the nearest competitor, Notre Dame’s Willie Kent, who shot a two-round score of 148. Seton Hall’s Scott Hawley (151), Notre Dame’s Kyle Monfort (152) and St. John’s Andrew McKay and Mike Matthews (153 each) rounded out the top six shooters. Junior Greg Koush shot rounds of 75 and 80 to finish at 155 in a three-way tie for seventh place with Seton Hall’s Eugene Smith and St. John’s Robert Rusche. Freshman Tristan Lewis and senior Matt Finger tied for 17th place, each shooting 159 for the tournament. Freshman Cody Courbier, who had been injured and had not competed since the Hoya Invitational, tied for 25th place with a score of 163. After the first round of play, the Hoyas were easily in first place with a score of 303, leading Seton Hall by five strokes. While Georgetown’s second-round score of 311 was not quite as strong, it was enough to retain the lead. St. John’s had the lowest second round score with 304, which helped it to move up from fourth place into the second-place tie. This tournament caps off what has been an inconsistent season for the team. Their season has been marked by strong individual showings but weak team scores. The team has had very strong play all season from their freshmen. In addition to Huber’s two medals, Lewis won first place at the Xavier Invitational in early October. Lewis also tied with Koush as top finisher for the Hoyas at the Liberty Classic.