Modernist Catholicism Fails to Promote Dialogue

To the Editor:

A piece by Fr. Christopher Steck, S.J., on indifferentism (“Jesuits Condone Dialogue,” The Hoya, April 22, 2005, A3) is more of the usual modernist drivel that true Catholics have had to endure from a number of Jesuits at Georgetown.

The “ecumenical” gathering at Assisi in 1986 was not a kind dialogue of fellowship but rather a scandalous sacrilegious insult to God. Dialogue is not permitting a Buddhist priest to place an idol of Buddha on a sacred altar of God while performing false pagan rituals before that very altar. This is a desecration of the sanctuary which no Catholic could ever tolerate, let alone a Jesuit.

Countless martyrs, many of them Jesuits, died for failing to bow down to these false, empty and pagan idols, yet our previous pope allowed this to occur for all the world to see. The same pope six years ago bowed to and kissed the Koran but that’s just dialogue, isn’t it? More sacrilege occurred last year before the Altar of the Apparitions at Fatima where Hindus yet again desecrated the sanctuary with their pagan worship. One of the holiest Marian shrines is now in desperate need of a re-consecration because of this scandal.

The Modernist heresies that have destroyed Holy Mother Church for 40 long years defy Pope Pius XI’s teaching on indifferentism: “Such attempts can nowise be approved by Catholics, founded as they are on that false opinion which considers all religions to be more or less good and praiseworthy, since they all in different ways manifest and signify that sense which is inborn in us all, and by which we are led to God and to the obedient acknowledgment of His rule.”

Patrick O’Brien (COL ’05) April 22, 2005