News and Notes

News and Notes

By Sarah Walsh Hoya Staff Writer

Golf Team Finishes Seventh at Navy

Continuing a trend it set last year of starting out well but flailing in the end, the Georgetown golf team finished seventh at last weekend’s Navy Fall Classic, falling from the fifth-place position it held after the first day of competition.

Georgetown ended the first round with a 293 score, tying James Madison for fifth place. A second-round score of 297 knocked the Hoyas back in the standings.

Penn State dominated the invitational on the second day, bringing home both the team and individual titles. With a 577 aggregate score, the Nittany Lions finished just one stroke ahead of the second-place Temple Owls. Penn State golfer Scott Phillis took the top individual honors with an overall score of 138. Seton Hall led after Saturday’s round with an invitational-low 281 aggregate round, but fell to third place with a second-round score of 299.

This weekend, Georgetown will play host to the annual Hoya Invitational, to be held at the Lansdowne Conference Resort in Leesburg, Va.

Intramurals

Deadlines are approaching for fall intramural sign-ups. The last day to sign up for Flag Football, Ultimate Frisbee, Fall Volleyball and Early Bird Basketball is Thursday, Sept. 16. All registration information must be in the intramural office at Yates Field House by 6 p.m.

Tennis

Despite appearing in all published schedules, there was no Baltimore-Washington Classic held this past weekend. Both the men’s and women’s team will compete in the Baltimore-Washington Challenge this coming weekend.