News in Brief

The International Committee of the Red Cross has an evolving role in counterterrorism efforts, ICRC President Jakob Kellenberger said in a speech Thursday afternoon in Gaston Hall.

“There is no one-size-fits-all approach,” Kellenberger said of the ICRC’s operations. The ICRC provides relief and assistance to victims of war and violent conflicts.

Kellenberger said that the resolution of the ongoing humanitarian crisis in the Darfur region of Sudan is one of his organization’s highest priorities. The ICRC has overseen 3,600 field trips to Darfur in the past year, he said, where relief activities have ranged from providing food, medicine and livestock distribution to the vaccination of camels.

“We want to remain masters of our own decision making,” Kellenberger said, pointing to independence and neutrality as the two integral qualities behind the ICRC’s ability to assist in devastating situations. He staked the ICRC’s reputation on its ability to quickly and comprehensively coordinate action.

University President John J. DeGioia introduced Kellenberger as a “quintessential humanitarian diplomat” whose commitment to service exemplifies Georgetown’s value for social justice.

Bonnie McElveen-Hunter, chairwoman of the American Red Cross, ended the program by presenting Kellenberger with special award for humanitarian achievement.

– Laura Brienza

A lecture by a Harvard University professor Wednesday evening highlighted the second-annual South Asia Week, sponsored by Georgetown’s South Asian Society.

The professor, Sugata Bose, posited that the “soft borders” of South Asian nations during the imperial age spurred globalization by facilitating an exchange of goods and ideas. In order for regional stability to be achieved today, South Asia needs to return having more fluent borders, he said.

SAS leaders have stressed the importance of South Asian studies within higher education during the week.

“South Asian studies is a field that is in great demand, but very new,” SAS President Maheen Kaleem (SFS `07) said. “We wanted him to give an academic lecture because he is a world famous historian, but also because he could offer points of advice about how to go about this at an institution of higher learning,” she said.

Other South Asia Week events included a discussion of South Asian identity on Monday, a forum on South Asians in the United States on Tuesday, and Mehndi Night last night. It will conclude with the SAS fall dinner tonight.

The lecture was sponsored by the SAS, Lecture Fund, International Relations Club and the history and government departments.

– Emily Solis-Cohen

A report from the American Highway Users Alliance gave Washington, D.C., an F for its ability to evacuate its population in case of an emergency.

The study, “Emergency Ecacuation Report Card 2006,” was funded by the American Bus Association. It evaluated 37 urban areas with populations of more than 1 million people, 20 of which were given an “F,” below 60 on a 100-point scale.

“What we can take away for the most part is that there is more to do,” Pete Pantuso, CEO of the American Bus Association, said.

Washington scored 44.9 and ranked 27th.

Three main criteria were used in the study: exit capacity, internal traffic flow and automobile access. Only Kansas City received an A. In D.C., the volume of people, the rivers that must be crossed to exit the city and the design of the city with traffic circles need to be taken into account, Pantuso said.

University spokesman Erik Smulson said students should use common sense and prepare themselves by having extra prescription medication, important contact information, and copies of important documents in case of an emergency situation.

“Georgetown has emergency response plans for many scenarios, including the evacuation of campus and food and water to shelter-in-place should such a need arise,” he said.

– Colleen Nicholson

American parents are not doing enough when it comes to saving money for college, according to a study released Monday by an investing group.

The study, conducted by Mathew Greenwald & Associates Inc. and released by AllianceBernstein Investments Inc., gathered data from student financial aid administrators at many universities and over 1,300 parents and found that parents often overestimate the amount of money their children will receive in scholarships and grants.

Stephanie Giaramita, media relations spokesperson for AllianceBernstein, said that 75 percent of parents do not have a financial plan that takes into account all of their goals, including college savings. She said that saving for college is not as high a priority as it should be, and that parents have been “spending instead of saving.”

“Instead of saving for their children’s college education, parents said they were spending more money on dining out, vacations and flat-screen TVs. It’s part of the consumer culture,” Giaramita said.

The study found that the average family saves $12,000 by the time their child reaches college age, less than half the amount of money it takes to finance a single year at most private institutions.

Giaramita said that when parents fail to save enough for college, it can leave their children in debt for years after graduation.

“Of course parents want the best for their kids,” she said. “But they’re not saving enough.”

– Kristin Thomas

The U.N. Security Council must pursue more punitive multilateral measures to stop the ongoing humanitarian crisis in Darfur said John Prendergast, senior advisor to the International Crisis Group, in a speech Thursday in McShain Lounge.

“With no action, hundreds of thousands of lives will, with certainty, be extinguished in Darfur on our watch,” said Prendergast.

Prendergast’s speech, given on International Conflict Resolution Day, focused on the economic, political and military tools that the U.S. and Security Council must utilize to deter the regime in Sudan. He also emphasized the importance of the U.S. acting multi-laterally to build leverage through aggressive foreign policy.

“Right now, there is not one troop signed up nor one idea as to where this mythical intervention would come from,” said Prendergast.

Prendergast reminded the audience not to forget the impact an individual can make.

“There is no substitute for taking 15-20 minutes a week to write a letter to your Congressman,” said Prendergast. “This is the bedrock of our democracy.”

– Marishka DeToy