No More Lazy Saturdays

Duke

When and Where: Saturday, Dec. 2, 7 p.m. at Cameron Indoor, Durham, N.C.

The Skinny: Following last season’s exhilarating 87-84 defeat of the Blue Devils, the Hoyas find themselves preparing for a rematch – this time, without J.J. Redick and Sheldon Williams. Sophomore power forward Josh McRoberts shows a great deal of promise, but he alone cannot make up for the class of ’06, which accounted for 72 percent of the Blue Devils’ points and 81 percent of their three-pointers.

Both teams have a score to settle, as Georgetown aims to establish itself as a perennial power and Duke seeks to get even for what was the biggest upset in the nation. Add to that the hostile environment of Cameron Indoor and the pressure of a rematch on national television, and this will be one of the biggest games of the season.

Pittsburgh

When and Where: Saturday, Jan. 13, 9 p.m. at Pittsburgh, and Saturday, Feb. 24, 2 p.m. at Verizon Center

The Skinny: Tied for fifth overall in the nation this season, Pittsburgh will be an imposing team to play. After losing to the Hoyas 61-58 last season, the Panthers will be looking to avenge their loss. Considering that Pitt and Georgetown are the preseason No. 1 and No. 2 teams in the Big East, these two games may well decide this year’s conference champion.

Pitt is returning senior center Aaron Gray, the Big East preseason player of the year. Gray and Georgetown’s Roy Hibbert will go toe-to-toe in both contests, making for two exciting and important matchups in the paint.

Marquette

When and Where: Saturday, Feb. 10, noon at Verizon Center

The Skinny: Another competitor for the Big East title, Marquette finished a surprising fourth in the league last season. This year, the game will be a marquee Jesuit matchup, with both teams seeking the win after the Hoyas fell to the Golden Eagles during the regular season, but defeated them in second round of the Big East tournament.

Connecticut

When and Where: Saturday, March 3, noon at Verizon Center

The Skinny: The Huskies have lost a lot of players this season, including Rudy Gay, Marcus Williams and Hilton Armstrong, and this may be the year inexperience finally catches up with them.

Though the Hoyas lost to the Huskies 74-67 last season, this year it will be the last game of the season, and Georgetown will be hungry for a big win to end the season and gain momentum to enter the Big East tournament. This year is the first time in a long time that the Hoyas should be favored when the ball tips off against the Huskies. Make sure to wait a day to leave for spring break so that you can catch this marquee matchup at Verizon Center.