November 20, 2009: Thumbs Up

**Facebook Lexicon:** New Oxford’s American Dictionary has chosen “unfriend” as its word of the year. The earliest recorded use of the term occurred in 1659. *Thumbs Up*

**Good Parenting:** French authorities prevented a school shooting in a Paris suburb after receiving a tip from the parents of the 13 year-old potential shooter. *Thumbs Up*

**Slicing Coverage:** The Washington Blade – a D.C.-based LGBTQ weekly periodical – closed its doors Monday. According to Blade employees, the newspapers owner shut it down due to bankruptcy. *Thumbs Down*

**Sweatshop Victory:** Russell Athletic announced that it will rehire 1,200 Honduran employees who had lost their jobs after unionizing in October 2008. Georgetown cut its ties with Russell last February. *Thumbs Up*.

**Cupcake Invasion:** Crumbs Bake Shop, which specializes in gourmet cupcakes with over 50 varieties, announced plans to open five locations in D.C, including one in Georgetown and another in Foggy Bottom. *Thumbs Up*

*To send a letter to the editor on a recent campus issue or Hoya story or a viewpoint on any topic, contact [opinionthehoya.com](opinionthehoya.com). Letters should not exceed 300 words, and viewpoints should be between 600 to 800 words.*”