Overhauled Hoyas See Improvement Ahead

Hoya Staff Writer Tuesday, September 19, 2006 Peter Tully/The Hoya Georgetown senior forward Cristina Araps and three James Madison defenders, senior Lyanne Dupra (No. 9) among them, vie for the ball in the Dukes’ 1-0 win on Sunday. The Hoyas’ loss came on the heels of a 2-0 defeat at Big East rival Villanova.

Sometimes, no matter what you do, it seems like nothing can go right. That was the feeling in the Georgetown camp after James adison stole a 1-0 decision Sunday at North Kehoe Field. The loss to the Dukes followed a 2-0 shutout at the hands of Villanova on Friday in Villanova, Pa. “Soccer is a cruel game,” Georgetown Head Coach Dave Nolan said after the loss to James adison. “Some days you don’t play well, and some days you do everything right and you still lose, and that’s what happened today.” Villanova (8-0-0, 1-0-0 Big East) scored two quick first-half goals, thanks to leading scorer Nikki Mabery, a junior forward, who already has nine goals this season. “Against Villanova, at the end of the day you just put your hands up and say, we got beat by a good team,” Nolan said. The Wildcats are off to the best start in school history and have posted a 17-1 scoring differential thus far, and just out of reach of the NSCAA top-25 rankings. Against James Madison (4-4-0), things started off in Georgetown’s (3-3-3, 0-1-0 Big East) favor. The Hoyas’ scoring opportunities began early in the first half, when senior forward Cristina Araps had a one-on-one opportunity with the Dukes’ goalkeeper. In a portent of things to come freshman Diane Wszalek came off of her line and deflected the shot. Georgetown fired four more shots on goal in the first half – all from within the box – but came away with nothing to show for it. “Unlucky. It is really unfortunate that we had that many opportunities and nothing went in,” Araps said. Even when the Hoyas managed to outsmart Wszalek and find an angle from which to shoot, they were unable to place the ball in the net. In the sixth minute, senior midfielder Chrissy Skogen launched a shot from just outside the six-yard box. She had beaten the goalie by three yards, but her shot caromed off a quick-thinking JMU defender’s legs and was subsequently cleared. Things only got worse in the second half. Dukes freshman forward Corky Julien took a pass from senior forward Sarah Cebulski in the 58th minute. Her shot sailed from the left corner of Georgetown’s 18-yard box, just past the outstretched arms of junior keeper Jade Higgins. “I told the girls at halftime that the only way [the Dukes] were going to score was if we gave a goal to them, and that’s what we did, we gave it to them,” Nolan said. “James Madison stole the game today.” After the score, Georgetown commenced a frantic pace of play, forcing balls upfield and letting loose a barrage of seven second-half shots to JMU’s three. The Dukes’ defense was steadfast, however. Wszalek made two fantastic leaping saves, one that robbed a sure goal from Araps with 16 minutes left as her shot was batted away inches below the crossbar. As Georgetown attempted to clear the ball, play was stopped as Cebulski was given a verbal warning for rough play. On the ensuing restart, she immediately hip-checked junior forward Elaina Filauro and received a yellow card. That sort of rough play was characteristic of the second half. In the 72nd minute, Georgetown sophomore defender Laura Snyder, already wearing an ankle brace this season for a recurring injury, was pushed to the ground by a James Madison offender. She was visibly shaken after the foul and left the field with two trainers, though she returned in the final minutes as Nolan pushed his players to find the equalizer. Fifth-year midfielder Alexandra Hardy provided the final offensive push for the Hoyas. As she corralled a bouncing pass on the left side and made a move for the box, an eager Dukes defender intercepted the ball and Hardy’s body, leaving the Georgetown captain on her back. Despite the hit, James Madison was awarded a throw-in. As the Dukes took the ensuing possession, any opportunities for a Hoya attack were quashed. “We were clearly the better team today,” Skogen said. “That’s why it’s so frustrating. We should have won today.” Unfortunately for Georgetown, the date with James Madison was its last before the rest of its Big East schedule begins in earnest. With four of the Hoyas’ ten remaining games against teams in the national top-25 mix, there Georgetown has a challenging schedule ahead. “That’s it,” Skogen said. “We can’t lose another game, not like this. Just wins for the rest of the season.” Georgetown will look for its next win in another Friday-Sunday doubleheader this week. The Hoyas face Rutgers (5-1-0, 1-0-0) at 3 p.m. on Friday, then Seton Hall (4-4-0, 0-1-0) at 1 p.m. on Sunday.