Paulus Puts Brothers First

Name: Christopher “Gey” Paulus

Sport: Football

Position: Linebacker

Hometown: Manlius, N.Y.

High School: Christian Brothers Academy

School/Year: MSB ’07

Major: Finance, accounting

HS Highlights: 2003: A four-sport athlete at Christian Brothers Academy . Section III scholar athlete

GU Highlights: 2003: First career tackle at Virginia Military Institute; helped lead the defensive scout team with Joe Kuhns (COL ’06). 2004: Finished season with 79 tackles. 2005: Finished with 40 tackles.

When did you first start playing football? It was sophomore year in high school. My brothers did it, I was playing soccer at the time and not having the most fun, so I had to switch. I followed them here to Georgetown, so I guess [my brothers were] pretty influential.

What was the best moment in your career so far? Our win against Buckenell two-years ago. We started off the season with a win. It was a great game, it went into overtime and we still came out victorious.

Who on the team do you rely on the most?

[Senior] Matt Cooper. He’s my roommate, we are the only two left in the house [playing football]. We keep each other up when we are down. He’s offense, and I’m defense so I don’t see him much at practice. But, we are best friends.

Who is your biggest rival?

[Junior] Dan Mita. He’s a fierce competitor on the scout team, and he really challenges me.

If you could change one thing about football what would it be?

I would say less practice, and more games. I know we can’t do that. I love the game, the actual game playing, the practice sometimes . you know it gets to you a little bit.

If you could be great at any other sport besides football, what would it be? Why?

I would like to be great at basketball. . I just have so much fun playing basketball. It is a great sport, that you can ball out whenever and have some fun playing. Georgetown basketball looks the best we’ve looked in years.

Do you miss playing on the team with your brothers?

It was definitely a lot of fun, rolling around out on practice, out at the games. It [is] just a different connection playing with your brothers and playing with your friends. All four of us were never out on the field together. It was just very nice to play football, have your brother back for homecoming. They just look at you and are proud that you are still playing. They are still a part of the team through you.

What do you think about Duke basketball?

I think it is great getting to watch your brother play on TV all the time. They are the traditional powerhouse. It is very exciting going to all the games and rooting for them. At the Duke vs. Georgetown basketball game last year, I was cheering because it was a very exciting game. You’re a brother first no matter what.

Are there any more Paulus siblings?

Yeah, Michael is going to [University of North Carolina] to play football.

What is the one thing you miss the most about home?

I miss my dog, Bailey, a golden retriever. She’s more annoying than anything. You enjoy your dog. I am a dog person.

What do you do when you are not playing football?

I haven’t done that yet. I have always been a football player. It has always been mapped for you. You practice, lift, then you fit everything around it.

If you could be anywhere in the world, where would you be? Why?

I’ll answer a different question. I would like to fast-forward to Dec. 2 Duke basketball matchup. It’s not where I want to be, but where I am looking forward to being.

Favorite professional player?

Brett Favre. He is one hell of a competitor. He is a warrior.

Favorite movie?

“Forrest Gump.” There are too many good scenes.

Favorite TV show?

“Seinfeld.” I stop everything every time it is on. If it’s on, I am watching it.

Favorite Georgetown course?

Business Ethics with Tom Cooke. Tom Cooke presents everything in a way that is enjoyable to learn.

Favorite Georgetown restaurant?

Paparazzi. Everything, you cannot go wrong, go there and have a good time.

Freshman Residence Hall?

Village C East. There were a lot of good times in Village C East. Our RA never came to talk to us because he was scared of us. We were louder than the rest of us. He used to send our friend Erin Doyle (MSB ’07) to come tell us to quiet down.

What is your biggest goal for football this year?

Win the last two games. I think we can do it.

Any advice for anyone who wants to join football?

A winning positive attitude. You want to be apart of team, make a commitment, pride in what you do, sacrifice your personal goals for that of a team. These all are characteristics of people we are looking for.

Booey’s or Wisey’s?

Booey’s. $5 pitchers. I don’t even think the sandwiches are that good.