Players to Watch

Hoya Staff Writer Friday, September 8, 2006

Josh Dudash

Lindsay Anderson/The Hoya

Not only is junior Josh Dudash a seasoned veteran returning at quarterback, but he also happens to be his team’s reigning MVP. Dudash led the Seawolves to a 6-5 record and a share of the Northeastern Conference title in 2005. The 6-foot-2, 214-pound junior thrived in former Head Coach Sam Kornhauser’s air-it-out spread offense, becoming only the sixth quarterback in Stony Brook history to surpass the 2,000-yard passing mark. His 58.8 percent completion last season was the second highest in school history. Dudash has also shown that he has a cannon arm, throwing a 91-yard touchdown pass last year against Robert Morris, as well as an ability to come through in the clutch, when he threw the game-winning touchdown in the Northeastern Conference Championship game against Central Connecticut. While Dudash’s responsibilities have been somewhat diminished with new Head Coach Chuck Priore’s rededication to the run, he was the one strong performer last week in a 17-8 loss to Hofstra. Dudash connected with senior receiver Mike Cosentino for the Seawolves’ lone touchdown. Dudash and Cosentino have developed a solid relationship over the past two years and are arguably Stony Brook’s top offensive threat. Last week the Hoyas’ defense showed an inability to stop the intermediate passing game against Holy Cross backup quarterback Brian McSharry. Senior defensive backs Derek Franks and Brian Tandy and the rest of the Georgetown secondary must come ready to play on Saturday or Dudash will have a field day. Chris Tomasky

Lindsay Anderson/The Hoya

Look up “linebacker” in the dictionary and you might find Tomasky’s picture staring intensely back at you. With his square jaw, buzz cut and steely eyes, the Seawolves’ senior defensive captain certainly looks the part. So far this year, he has played the part well. In last week’s season-opening loss to Hofstra, the Ronkonkoma, N.Y., native registered a team-high seven tackles and was one of the main reasons Stony Brook kept it close deep into the fourth quarter. Tomasky red-shirted last season after transferring from Nassau Community College but earned the respect of his teammates in the off-season when they elected him team captain. Holy Cross linebackers Dan Adams and Chris Nielsen played like men possessed against the Hoyas last week, severely limiting Georgetown’s offensive production. In Kevin Kelly’s spread option attack, neutralizing opposing linebackers is a must. The Hoya offensive line will be on the lookout for Tomasky this Saturday at the ulti-Sport Facility, and quarterback Ben Hostetler will be keying the Option attack off of how No. 43 reacts. Fazing Tomasky will not be an easy task.