Players to Watch

Hoya Staff Writer Friday, September 1, 2006

Frank Herlihy A year ago, Holy Cross relied upon the power running game of senior Steve Silva to move the ball, and did so more than adequately, as the Crusaders averaged nearly 30 points a contest. Silva, who checked in at a thick 6-foot-nothing, 215 pounds, ran for 913 yards, caught passes for another 364, and also served as a kick returner extraordinaire, running back 22 punts for 394 yards and 19 kickoffs for 452 yards. On the season, Silva entered the endzone 15 times en route to being named Patriot League offensive player of the year. But in May, he reached another milestone: graduation. With Silva departed, Holy Cross will need to rely on someone new if they plan on maintaining their smash-mouth style offense. That man will likely be senior Frank Herlihy. A senior running back, Herlihy has a body type similar to that of Silva, but is actually even larger: he checks in at 6-foot-1 and 246 pounds. What the West Seneca, N.Y. native lacks, however, is experience. He played in 11 games last year, but started just two, and he barely gained 100 all-purpose yards. As a sophomore, he was used sparingly on the ground but did catch 13 balls for 87 yards. A captain for his senior season, Herlihy will need to take his game to a new level if he wants to come even close to being the player that Silva was. What’s more, Herlihy will need to carry the ball purposefully and consistently if Holy Cross wants to leave the Multi-Sport Facility with a win. Dan Adams Unlike Herlihy, senior lineback Dan Adams is a seasoned veteran. A second team all-Patriot League selection a season ago, he recorded 115 tackles – 97 of them solo and four for a loss. His 97 solo tackles led not just the Patriot League, but all of Division I-AA. He also registered a sack. At 5-foot-10, 215 pounds, Adams isn’t huge, but it’s safe to say he can bring people down. That single sack came against Georgetown. That afternoon he also made nine tackles and two tackles as the Crusaders walloped the Hoyas 48-6. Along with senior linebacker Dan Nielson, Holy Cross’ second leading tackler last season, Adams, who was named one of the 16 best linebackers in Division I-AA by The Sports Network prior to the start of the season, will look to make sure that Georgetown’s new option offense stays right around the line of scrimmage. Adams’ history in the Washington, D.C. area is not limited to last year’s sack. A standout at James W. Robinson Secondary School in Springfield, Va., Adams captained an undefeated squad his senior season and posted 240 career tackles in three varsity seasons. If Adams is on his game, it will not be an easy afternoon for the Hoya offense.