Potomac Waters Sweet for GU

Potomac Waters Sweet for GU

By Sarah Walsh Hoya Staff Writer

For the sixth consecutive year, the Georgetown crew teams won the Georgetown Invitational last Sunday, dominating all other competition and amassing 70 points to bring home the Don P. Cadle Points Trophy.

Aided by sunny weather, Georgetown won seven of the regatta’s 21 events.

Syracuse was the second-place finisher, but the Orangemen’s 46 points were nowhere close to the Hoyas’ 70. Villanova posted a 39-point finish, while Boston College and iami rounded out the top five with 38 and 20 points, respectively.

The men’s team won four of its 10 events. The second frosh/novice eight won its race in 6:17.3. The varsity four finished in 6:28.46, narrowly pulling off a win over Syracuse. The varsity lightweight eight also had a close win, finishing in 5:47.58, just a second in front of Boston College. The frosh/novice lightweight eight also brought home a win with a 6:07.2.

The women’s team won three of its 11 races. The varsity lightweight four won its race with a 7:39.67 finish while the varsity lightweight eight took home a win with a 7:03.35 time. The frosh/novice eight also finished in first place with 6:45.8.

The men will play host to cross-town rival George Washington this weekend on the Potomac River, while the women head to Princeton, N.J., to face off against George Washington and Virginia.