President Clinton to Speak on Campus

Georgetown will distribute tickets by lottery today to an expected surge of students eager to see a speech Wednesday by the university’s alumnus-in-chief, former President Bill Clinton (SFS ’68).

Clinton will deliver the keynote address at “Securing the Common Good: A Vision for America and the World,” a conference in Gaston Hall sponsored by the Center for American Progress, a left-leaning think tank.

A broadcast e-mail sent to the university community last night provided students the opportunity to enter a lottery for tickets either online or in Red Square today. Winners of the draw will be notified this evening, according to the e-mail.

Michael Jurist (SFS ’07), chairman of the Lecture Fund, said that students complained that they could not secure tickets to other prominent speakers earlier this semester, including Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) and House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.). Tickets for those speeches were doled out on a first-come-first-served basis.

“It’s not perfect, but I think it’s the best way,” he said.

The Lecture Fund was not involved in planning the conference, but will help usher and provide logistical support.

The speech will be the first time Clinton has addressed students at Georgetown since he spoke with attendees of the Young Adult Symposium sponsored by the former president’s foundation in February 2003.

CAP President and CEO John Podesta (LAW ’76), a distinguished visiting professor at the Georgetown Law Center who served as White House Chief of Staff under Clinton, is scheduled to deliver the opening speech at the conference. University President John J. DeGioia is slated to introduce Clinton, according to a media advisory released Friday afternoon. Rep. Kendrick Meek (D-Fla.) will also speak at the conference.

Jurist said that conference organizers have been working closely with the Office of Protocol and Events, but that details have only recently been finalized. Jurist said that he was first informed that Clinton would speak on campus less than two weeks ago.

“I don’t think they actually hammered out the details until today,” Jurist said.

Jurist said that he believed the event had not been published widely by the university until last night because details had not yet been finalized. He said that security concerns may have also been a factor.

“I don’t think it’s a matter of secrecy at all,” he said. “It was more of a logistical thing.”

Daniella Gibbs Leger, a spokesperson for CAP, declined comment on details of the event.

Or Skolnik (COL ’08), communications director for the GU College Democrats, said that the group was not informed of the speech in an official capacity and was not aware that Clinton would be speaking until yesterday.