Raffaelli’s ‘Free Style’ Humbles Competition

In the Spotlight: Cori Raffaelli

Sport: Swimming and Diving

Events: Freestyle distance

Hometown: Oxnard, Calif.

High School: Oxnard High School

School/Year: COL `05

Major: History

HS Highlights: All-League Water Polo 1999-2001; All-CIF Water Polo 1998; Most Inspirational Player Water Polo 1998-01.

When did you first start swimming? My dad [Larry Raffaelli] is like a crazy swimmer. He has like been swimming forever. He put me in the pool when I was 10 years old but refused to let me train. I didn’t even train until I was in high school when I joined a club. When I first got to high school, I mean, I couldn’t swim at all.

What was the best moment in your career so far? I don’t really know. There have been so many good moments. Really, there isn’t one singular moment I can pick out. The people on the team are what makes it the best.

Who’s your biggest rival? I don’t have any rivals! I think in general it is all about what needs to get done at that moment. The person in the next lane has to be my rival. I am not adamant in taking down one specific person.

What is a typical swimming practice like? A complete nightmare, basically. We do like mornings and afternoon, and so like in the afternoons we do a solid 8,000 yards.

If you could change one thing about swimming what would it be? I don’t think I would change anything about swimming. The challenge is what makes it such an awesome sport. You can always push yourself further.

What do you think about before you dive in the water? Honestly, I try not to think. I know it sounds air-headed and whatever, but if you think, you lose track of the little things you practice everyday like turns. Honestly, I try to crack a joke and definitely cheer for the people swimming around me.

What music do you have in your iPod now? Like everything. I love classic rock: Led Zeppelin, ACDC. But I mean, I have obviously everything that is popular now, like Rage Against the Machine and that stuff. I also listen to my brother’s band in California, Rebirth.

If you could be great at any other sport or event besides swimming, what would it be? Why? I don’t think I would choose another sport. I really respect the dedication and persistence you need to swim. It is completely different from a team sport. But there is nothing more thrilling coming in and knowing it is all you, which sucks when it fails, because you know it is all you.

Do you have any superstitions? Don’t think. As soon as I start to care, it is over. The more I care, the worse I swim.

What’s your favorite thing to do at Georgetown when you are not swimming? Honestly, swim team parties are legendary. 80s party, pimps and hos. All our theme parties are amazing.

Freshman residence hall? Because I was a transfer [from Ventura College] I was in Darnall. I mean the whole year was classic. Everyone on that floor was funny. My roommate from last year [Mackenzie Arocho (MSB ’05)], “Mack Attack,” she was classic in every way.

What do you want to do before you graduate? I just want to experience Georgetown. There are so many opportunities here. It is impossible, even if you are not swimming, there is too much to do.

Who’s your biggest inspiration? Man, we’re taking it down. My two brothers [Ryan, 28, and Rob, 26]. I just look up to them. They are both so inspiring in different ways. There is nothing I can be more in life than them. Can I put my Mom [Kathy], well, my parents in there too? My parents are the best. I can’t leave out my Mom. She is the woman.

What’s your biggest fear? To have any regrets. I try not to regret anything no matter how stupid it was. It is all an experience. Regrets are my biggest fear.

Most embarrassing moment? See, the problem with me is that I don’t get embarrassed. I have no pride in life whatsoever. When I was in fourth grade I peed in my pants, and the nun came and got me and dragged me across the classroom. It was classic because I was wearing pants, and I went to the bathroom and couldn’t unbutton the little bastards. I am like in the bathroom frantically trying to open the pants, and I peed myself.

Favorite food? I love Italian food. I am all about the carbs. I love pasta.

Any favorite Georgetown restaurant? I mean, like, you just got to love The Tombs for what it is worth.

What is your dream job? I want to be a high school teacher and swim coach. Because all my teachers in high school were miserable, so I want to be a good one. And lifeguard in the summers. You get paid to screw with kids all day. That is my gig.

Who is the most interesting person you have met? I have to say my brothers. They both have so many talents and skills and are the most down to earth people you will ever meet.

Describe yourself in one word? “I don’t know.” That’s three. I don’t know, “humorous,” I guess.

Favorite movie? There are some good ones out there. Happy Gilmore is a classic, Old School, Count of Monte Cristo. Old School is definitely at the top. I think the first time I watched that though, I was terrified I was going to pee in my pants.

Least favorite movie? Oh God! Starship Troopers, why did that pop into my head? What is that one with the sand snake things trying to eat everyone? They didn’t understand the first one was bad? Tremors! Oh my God, so horrible. These were movies a gentleman I dated liked, and I was like, “How is this a good movie?”

Coke or Pepsi? I don’t even drink soda. I guess my parents just didn’t give it to us when we were little.

What sports star do you aspire to be like? I mean, I guess Jenny Thompson is a good one. She never quits.

Midnight Mug or Uncommon Grounds? Midnight ug.

The thing you miss the most about home? The ocean. I am such a water baby. I live for the ocean. I am a dried-up prune here. I can’t wait for spring break to go surfing again. I live for that, live for it!

Favorite book? Actually, when I was little I used to love The Big Friendly Giant.

Booey’s or Wisey’s? Wisey’s, because I am probably too lazy to walk to Booey’s.

How long do you see yourself swimming for? My entire life. My dad swims masters and he is really into it. Both of my brothers and dad swim masters, so it is something we share. It is really special just to be in the water with my 62-year-old father who keeps up legitimately.