Raise Bar for Diversity

Georgetown has been an internationally-oriented university for decades, and it should be commended for its continuing commitment to international education, despite trends showing that less foreign students are studying at American universities.

A study released last week by the American Council on Education said that fewer international students are opting to come to the United States for college educations. This, however, is not the case at Georgetown, which has actually seen a growth in its international student population over the past five years.

Georgetown clearly remains committed to its diverse student population by attracting international students. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions should be commended for making strong efforts in promoting the university abroad. This effort continually leads to higher international enrollment and promotes Georgetown’s influence abroad.

Because of Georgetown’s commitment to international education, the United Nations Education, Science and Cultural Organization has named the university as a national chair for its leadership in the field of global education. As a UNSECO chair, Georgetown will join nine other American universities charged with the responsibility to expand education in the developing world.

Becoming a UNESCO chair will help to support University President John J. DeGioia’s commitment to make Georgetown a global university. With the establishment of an overseas campus in Qatar and by exploring the possibility of establishing a campus in China, Georgetown attracts international students.

The many achievements in Georgetown’s dedication to international education do not mean that the university cannot make further improvements in attracting a diverse student body from within the United States. To remain competitive and further diversity, administrators must remain committed to the idea of economic and regional diversity in its student body.

Maintaining competitive financial aid packages remains one of President DeGioia’s main priorities in improving the university’s quality. He and other administrators must follow through on this goal in order to maintain a promise to diversity in education, or else they may risk losing future talented students, many of which include international students.