Rangel Criticizes Bush Policies In Preview to State of the Union

Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.) took aim at President George W. Bush, criticizing several aspects of the president’s foreign and domestic policies during a speech in the Intercultural Center Auditorium last night. The 19-term representative and chairman of the House Committee on Ways and Means spoke about issues ranging from the civil rights movement, the war in Iraq, Bush’s proposed stimulus package and the current status of immigrants. He also criticized Bush as being “all the things that Dr. King fought against.” “Listen tonight to the President of the United States and see how badly we have to continue tonight in the civil rights movement,” Rangel said. He called Bush’s Iraq policies an “intrusion by troops into another country” in which “the only objective is to expand our invested interest in the oil of that country.” Rangel also condemned Bush’s stimulus package, accusing the Bush tax cuts of causing the current recession and calling the package untimely. He emphasized the need to temporarily distribute $100 billion to people who have “no choice but to spend it.” “Mr. President, the fact that we’re talking about another $100 billion for these people means that your plan didn’t work for seven years,” he said. Rangel also focused on illegal immigrants. “Who are we to say that we want to get rid of 11 million people?” he said. Pointing to his opinion that America has been insufficient in industries and jails, Rangel criticized “the meanness in our politics to identify these people as being illegal.” He indicated that although present citizens are “groups of people of different youths, from different continents, came to this country the same way . no one is called illegal.” “Where this great country goes tomorrow and the days after remain in your hands,” he said. The speech was the last of the activities sponsored by Georgetown University in celebration of Martin Luther King Day. It was sponsored by the GU College Democrats, the Black Student Alliance and the NAACP.