Rasing the Bar Before Tossing Their Caps

As spring approaches, time at Georgetown is dwindling for the Class of 2004. It seems everything we do is “for the last time”- the last first day of classes, the last Midnight adness and the last Traditions Day. Soon, our Wednesday nights will no longer be spent at The Tombs and 8:50 will no longer seem early. We entered Georgetown in 2000 ready to Raise the Bar and we have succeeded.

As we prepare to leave Georgetown and join the thousands of Hoyas before us who have crossed the threshold into the real world, it is time for us to make a statement as a class about all that Georgetown has given us and those who follow. Georgetown is an integral part of our lives. The Hilltop has become a part of who we are and will continue to shape the kind of people we become even after we leave in May. Participating in the Senior Class Gift is the best way to show our commitment to Georgetown for all that it has done to shape the men and women we have become.

Georgetown has afforded us a place to grow, change and flourish over the past four years. In this community we have formed friendships that will last our lifetimes, taken classes with professors who have challenged us, met Jesuits who have engaged us and joined clubs, teams and organizations that have taught us to lead and to make a difference. We have fallen in love with this place, be it the campus, the community or the city of Washington, D.C. We have endured the internships, the speakers, Sursum Corda, GAAP weekends and endless nights on the second floor of Lauinger. As students we have had “Hoya Paranoia” for the basketball team, witnessed protests, and heard politicians and foreign diplomats speak on campus. Georgetown is a legacy of educating mind, body and soul that has been passed down over 215 years from John Carroll – and now it is our turn to pass it on.

As seniors, we have a unique opportunity to thank those who have contributed to our experiences at Georgetown and to contribute to the experiences of future Hoyas. We ask you now to help us Raise the Bar again, by participating in the Senior Class Gift Campaign. The Senior Class Gift is an investment in the future of Georgetown and a lasting legacy of the Class of 2004. On Monday, Feb. 9, seniors will have the opportunity to decide what that gift will be through an online Saxa Server vote. Our choices include a statue of Jack the Bulldog or a clock in the Southwest Quad, a statue of Ignatius of Loyola – the founder of the Jesuit order – picnic tables and benches to be located at various spots on campus, or a room in either the New South Student Space or the Alumni House to be named for and decorated by our class.

Our goal this year is to break the previous record and reach a level of 73 percent class participation in the Senior Class Gift Campaign. If we do in fact reach this mark, an anonymous donor has pledged to add $10,000 to whatever we have raised. Any amount given through the campaign counts toward our participation level, whether it is donated to the gift, financial aid, or any sports team, club, organization or department on campus.

The Senior Class Gift Committee, in association with the Office of Alumni and University Relations, will be hosting several events for participants over the remainder of the semester, including a Kickoff Party at LuLu’s, a Rockland’s Barbeque and a reception in Riggs Library. The Kickoff Party will be held on Thursday, Feb. 12, at LuLu’s and will feature no cover charge, two dollar shots and one dollar draft beers. All events are only open to those who have donated at least $10, so donate early in order to participate in all events. Committee members will be at the door of Lulu’s collecting donations and will be tabling in the Leavey Center beginning Monday the 9th.

Now is our chance to Raise the Bar, breaking past gift records while raising funds for our class gift.

Maren Priestley is a senior in the McDonough School and James Shea is a senior in the College. Both serve as senior class gift committee co-chairs.