Remembering Summer Success

Summer: a string of lackadaisical days at the pool, sun-kissed bodies and unforgettable nights.

Or, in Hoya speak, a time for endless days in the office, the glow of a computer screen and, generally, very forgettable days spent filing. For some Georgetown students, though, this summer was a time to break out of the mundane and enter into some seriously interesting intern work. Participating in everything from investment banking to grassroots organizing, these students had a lot to say about the way they spent their summer vacation.

Arvand Khosravi (SFS ’07) beat the summer heat hobnobbing with Manhattan socialites – and getting some invaluable experience while he was at it. A sales and marketing intern for the men’s division of Valentino, Khosravi worked with the high-end fashion house’s upper sales team to market and sell the spring-summer 2006 collection to major department stores in North America. Add in some great networking opportunities, an amazing discount off wholesale prices and a party at Mike Piazza’s loft and you have yourself a summer well spent.

“It was a very significant summer experience,” the International History major says. “It gave me a unique, behind-the-scenes look at the fashion industry and I got to meet some very influential people.”

Networking was an important part of the summer for other Hoyas, too. Michael Kosty (MSB ’07) scored a coveted spot as a Goldman Sachs summer analyst. It was an experience he says gave him a broader understanding of the business world.

Working in a project-oriented group that changed its focus periodically, Kosty was able to meet high-level Goldman Sachs associates often.

“[In class] you hear about these obscure business products or concepts. At Goldman, you’re able to sit down with the high-yield bond trader and he’ll tell you everything he knows about his business. You can’t really do that with a professor,” he says.

Shannon Grimes (COL ’06) says the opportunities to meet with field professionals shaped her summer internship, as well. One of 20 Vilar Institute for Arts Management interns at The Kennedy Center, the Classical Languages major was required to participate in seminars with executives of various departments. These meetings helped interns acquire a better understanding of the role of a non-profit and arts manager.

“I got a great feel for how an organization as large as the Kennedy Center functions and what the people behind the scenes do,” she says. “It gave me a real feel for what the non-profit sector, and arts management in particular, is all about.”

But great summer gigs do not come without their own drawbacks. Part of the reason Kosty was able to meet so many people within Goldman Sachs was because he spent an unusual portion of his summer in the office, sometimes logging more than 60 hours a week. Having already spent two years in the “work hard, play hard” culture at Georgetown, though, helped to put the experience in perspective.

“The atmosphere at Goldman is similar to that of Georgetown in that it’s pretty laid back and relaxed but at the same time they get their work done,” he says. “The hours weren’t always fun, but it’s one of those things where from the outside you think, `Oh man I could never do that.’ But once you’re doing it, it’s a non-issue.”

Adjusting to the culture of her internship was a little harder for Jenny Bridgers (SFS ’07), an International Economics major who spent her summer as a legal assistant at Capital Associates, Lawyers PRC in Beijing. Cultural and language barriers were a summer-long frustration for Bridgers.

“The concept of an `intern’ is still relatively new in China and is difficult for companies to comprehend – I was the first intern Capital Associates had ever had. The job description wasn’t exactly developed beforehand, so I had no clue what I was going into,” she remembers.

Bridgers spent much of her internship just figuring out what her internship was – she and her direct supervisor shared no common language, which made assignments difficult. But after a lot of long days breaking language barriers and late nights providing English tutoring to coworkers, Bridgers says it was worth it.

“In the end, this was an incredible learning experience – personally and professionally,” she says. “It’s helped me make a lot of decisions about what I want to focus on and possible directions I want to go.”

Having gained that direction over the summer really helped solidify the beginning of junior year for Richard Thayer (COL ’07). After spending the summer working at The William J. Clinton Foundation, Thayer came back to Georgetown with a better sense of the ins and outs of the diplomatic world. Planning the Clinton Global Initiative, a conference of major world leaders, business people and NGOs which was held in early September, helped him to “become more familiar with major business people and important NGOs.”

Even more, Thayer attended the summit, which raised $1.25 billion in aid for initiatives in poverty alleviation, religious reconciliation, issues of climate change and enhancing governance in emerging democracies, and met several heads of state – not to mention Brad and Angelina. A Government major’s dream, for sure.