Removal of Stained-Glass Windows Unacceptable

To the Editor:

During a recent assignment that required me to count the number of campus buildings with stained glass for potential needed repair, I was surprised to find two stained glass windows missing from the Riggs Library in the Healy Building.

These two windows were installed during the early 1980s by then-University President Timothy Healy, S.J. The two windows of which I speak were put in to honor the students and alumni that had served in the American Civil War, one representing the South and one representing the North. When I inquired as to why these two windows had been removed, I was told that some “high-up executive” had seen the windows and was offended, and thus ordered them removed.

As this is a university that prides itself on its diversity, why would these windows be removed? No matter why people try to change history, it happened and there is no changing that fact. Some of our students and priests here made huge sacrifices during that time of war and some even died for what they believed. What is being offended compared to dying for what you believe?

What is next, a book burning on Healy Lawn of all books in Lauinger Library that mention the Civil War? Or perhaps digging up the bones of Fr. John Dooley, now buried in our cemetery, since he was a Confederate soldier before becoming a priest at Georgetown? Or maybe destroying all ever mention of our priest Fr. William Corby, who joined the famed Irish Brigade as chaplain and gave the troops absolution while standing on a boulder before the Battle of Gettysburg?

I see signs around campus nearly every day that have offended me, but I understand the fact that people have a right to hang these signs for view. What I ask is to have the windows put back where they belong and to stop trying to change Georgetown history. If you don’t like the windows, walk on past and don’t look at them. That’s what makes diversity work.

Wallace Canter Contracts Inspector, University Facilities April 21, 2005