Repairs Continue on Several Buildings

As construction efforts proceed on new campus projects like the Royden B. Davis, S.J., Performing Arts Center and the Multi-Sport Facility, administrators have also initiated extensive repairs to existing buildings such as White Gravenor and Healy Hall.

Large scaffolding has been set up outside the two buildings for weeks to facilitate repairs on the south side of White Gravenor and the west side of Healy, which officials say should be completed by the end of the semester. Workers are also continuing repairs to the exterior of Lauinger Library, which have generated noise complaints from students in recent weeks.

Karen Frank, vice president for facilities and student housing, said that the repairs to White Gravenor and Healy were prompted by “water infiltration” into the two buildings. Water leakage into White Gravenor has damaged the interior of the building in some areas, Frank said, and the decision to begin repairs on the building was made about three years ago. Funding was only recently approved for the project, she said.

Work on Healy Hall has also focused on external repairs, including patching a roof leak and repairing exterior bricks and gutters, according to Frank.

Although it is preferable to do most construction projects over the summer instead of during the academic year, administrators faced a difficult task in organizing the search for contractors, architects and workers, as well as coming up with plans and designs, Frank said. She added that both contractors and building materials are in short supply due to increased building in the D.C. area recently and the lingering impact of Hurricane Katrina, which hit earlier this month.

“We’re essentially doing three years’ worth of work in terms of the number of projects,” she said.

Renovations to Healy Hall and White Gravenor are expected to be completed around December.

Frank said that if they are not finished before final exams, “We’ll take a break and finish after exams,” possibly over the semester break.

As construction work continues across campus, some students have voiced concern about the number of projects the university is undertaking.

David Tate (COL ’08) said that recent on-campus construction has been disruptive.

“It creates a lot of noise [and] bothers me when I walk to class,” he said. “It feels dangerous around campus.”

Tate added that construction work on the Performing Arts Center last year “woke [him] up everyday” in his dorm in Harbin Hall.

Mitchell Beard (COL ’08) said that even though the construction is annoying, it will ultimately improve the university.

“It’s good because it’s for the future benefit of the school,” he said.

Responding to last week’s theft of the hands on Healy’s Dahlgren-facing clock, Frank said replacements will not be installed until the scaffolding around Healy Hall is removed in about December.