SEED Holds Awareness Week

Students Ending Eating Disturbances sponsored an Open Mic Wednesday night at Uncommon Ground as a part of their Eating Disorder Awareness Week. Inactive for several years, the group has been reorganized this year, according to awareness coordinator Kimberly Steele (COL ’04).

The Open Mic Night comprised of fours pieces read by Steele, and poems read by two other students. In keeping with the aim of SEED, the event focused on increasing awareness of eating disorders, unhealthy body images and sharing stories of suffering and hope.

Organizers said that the campus is greatly lacking a group targeting eating disorders, a prevalent student issue. With members that have personal ties to this issue, SEED is organized around three central ideas: awareness, support and nutrition.

Awareness means breaking the silence around eating disorders, and opening discourse around these difficult issues to help friends and sufferers deal with their problems constructively.

Support relates to establishing networks that help those who want to be helped. Finally, for their idea of “nutrition” SEED seeks to help sufferers find health options once they have decided to get better.

Though it has links with health centers on campus, its role is largely that of referral and peer support.

The group had events the entire week, including a panel with nutrition experts, an all-male discussion and a speech centering on art and body image.

Besides awareness week, SEED has a support network designed to help friends of sufferers and sufferers, and meets regularly in Darnall.

Additionally, the group gives “floor talks” at the request of the resident assistant in which they send representatives to dorms to give presentations about the group and the options on campus for anyone looking for resources.