Show Your Spirit From SAC Fair to Football Field

Last Friday, THE HOYA wrote an editorial about the Student Activities Commission’s unfortunate decision to hold the SAC Fair on the same day as the opening of the Multi-Sport Facility (“SAC Fair Neglects GU Football, THE HOYA, Sept. 9, 2005, A2). Conflicts such as these make it hard for students to attend both events. I would like to urge everyone to make sure that they get to both the SAC Fair and the football home opener. If everyone from the SAC Fair goes to the football game, we can make it one of the best student sections in recent memory. Everyone remembers how loud and crazy we were at McDonough Gym last spring. Or at the Notre Dame game when we rushed the court, not once, but twice. Those were student sections that were forces in the game – loud, energetic and, most importantly, fun.

Basketball games aren’t the only places where we’ve had good crowds. New students packed Gaston at the New Student Orientation Pep Rally and were one of the loudest crowds that venue has ever seen. As Coach John Thompson III commented afterward, only the McDonough game rivaled the energy in Gaston that night. That energy carried over to the soccer game two Sundays ago, when the men’s soccer team played American for the D.C. College Cup and the stands were packed with Hoyas cheering on the team. One of my favorite moments in my years at Georgetown was when the entire student section responded to an AU player swearing at the referee by chanting, “Watch your language.”

Sadly, experiences like these aren’t as common at Georgetown as they should be. That doesn’t have to be the case. It’s a matter of the students doing two things – going to the game and being loud. Attending is the first step, but the games don’t become experiences unless people join in the cheers.

These two things are something that Georgetown students can definitely improve upon. Student attendance at games is often too low for the student section to be a force, and not enough students join in the cheers when they do attend. With the opening of the ulti-Sport Facility, we have a chance to change that.

Thanks to the generosity of alumni, we’re about to open a brand new, on-campus stadium this Saturday at 1 p.m. Hoya Blue, along with the new Georgetown Events Committee, has been planning for this day all summer. For the first time, there’s going to be a section set aside for the students. There’s going to be a free GU Grilling Association barbeque on Healy Lawn starting at 11 a.m., with free face painting, sign-making and contests run by Hoya Blue for free T-shirts. It’s going to be a momentous occasion. This could be one of those sporting events that stays with you forever. If everyone wears their Hoya Blue shirt, and is loud, we’ll give our football team a home-field advantage that will make an impact on the game.

There will be a wall of blue yelling “Hoya Saxa” after Emir Davis punches in a touchdown. A unified student section chanting Michael Ononibaku’s name after he sacks Brown’s quarterback. And it will all be capped off when we sing the fight song with the football team after they christen the new field with a victory. That’s the kind of thing you’ll remember forever. Not only that, it’s a way to show the alumni that paid for the stadium that we appreciate their support for the school and love Georgetown as much as they do.

And it can happen. All you need to do is get out of bed, throw on your “I Bleed Hoya Blue” shirt, go to the game and join the rest of the students cheering. If everyone does that, we can make Saturday the beginning of a new era where the students support their sports teams. So come to the game on Saturday, have fun, and then, after you’ve helped cheer the football team on to victory, join Hoya Blue over the rest of year as we cheer our fellow Hoyas on to victory in every sport.

Thomas Ryan is a senior in the College and is treasurer of Hoya Blue.