SMURF Does Not Back Theft

To the Editor:

The article entitled “Healy Duo Receives One Year Probation” (THE HOYA, Jan. 31, 2006, A1) quoted an allegation by Wyatt Gjullin and Andrew Hamblen that “stealing the hands is listed as one of the `Top 100 Hundred Things to do at Georgetown,’ according to SMURF.”

The publication referenced is an annual issue of the Stall Seat Journal, which in August 2003 included “steal the hands off the Healy clock tower” as number 63 of “101 Things to Do on the Hilltop.” This year the issue was entitled “111 Things to Do on the Hilltop” and did not include “stealing the hands” as an item.

The list attempts to promote activities that are generally accessible to all Hoyas and can serve as a unifying body of shared Georgetown experiences.

Students Marketing Under-Recognized Facts is dedicated to providing Hoyas information with which they can make their own, better-informed “smart choices.” SMURF does not deliberately condone or promote the violation of campus policies or procedures and expects all Georgetown students to make responsible decisions with the information available and to face the consequences of their actions.

SMURF supports Hoyas in making informed, intelligent choices in the situations they face in the college environment by dispelling myths surrounding student engagement in risky behavior and promoting harm reduction measures such as eating a snack before consuming alcohol and accompanying an impaired friend to their home.

Jason S. Hwang (SFS ’08)

SMURF Member

Feb. 7, 2006