Spiders Weave Overtime Win Over Hoyas

The Georgetown field hockey team lost to Richmond, 2-1, in double overtime on Wednesday, dropping the Hoyas’ record to 10-4.

The Spiders scored first on a penalty corner at 1:42. At the same time, The Hoyas’ offense was stifled by the Spiders and could not control the ball long enough to get many good looks at the goal. However, its defense also prevented Richmond from scoring, leaving the halftime score at 1-0.

The Hoyas had several opportunities to score at the outset of the second half. They were unable to score on five penalty corners in the half, an unusual occurrence, as their corner unit is usually their strongest source of goal production.

The Hoyas couldn’t convert until 59:46, when freshman forward Leeanne Rizzo scored the tying goal after a scramble in front of the net. It was Rizzo’s fifth goal of the season and knotted the score at 1-1 for the end of regulation.

The first 15-minute overtime period saw three penalty corners for Richmond, but they were not able to convert any of them. The Hoyas didn’t get any corner opportunities, although they did have several chances to score from the field, but again were unable to finish.

Sophomore goalkeeper Jessica Herring blocked a high penalty corner 1:30 into the second overtime period, but sophomore forward Jill Murphy managed to score the game-winning goal 40 seconds later, unassisted.

“We did well effort-wise. Our defense played a great game. Offensively, we had our chances, but we didn’t do a good job of maintaining possession,” Head Coach Laurie Carroll said.

Attempting to remedy the Hoyas’ offensive woes, Carroll instruct the team to attack in pairs instead of sending the ball far down the field. She said this worked well right

away, and resulted in the Hoyas’ one goal, but when the

Field Hockey, from p. 10

team started to get tired, they returned to the “big ball,” which was unsuccessful.

Caroll noted junior back Bridgett McConnell and senior midfielder Jessica Walls as being key defensive players for the Hoyas.

Herring saw 17 shots on goal and had nine saves for the Hoyas.

Recently, Elster was named Eastern College Athletic Conference Field Hockey Player of the Week for the second time this season. She leads the Hoyas in points with 39 on 17 goals and five assists, and has had six multiple-goal games and two hat tricks this season.

She is currently ranked fourth among Division I field hockey players in goals per game (1.417), fifth in goals (17) and points per game (3.250) and ninth in points (39).

Georgetown will take on Albany tomorrow at 10 a.m. on Kehoe Field.

Related Links

Field Hockey Team Page

Field Hockey Schedule

Field Hockey Roster