Sports Briefs

Volleyball Players Earn Big East Honors

Big East coaches honored Georgetown volleyball players Anna Kleinsorge and Jennifer Ward for their outstanding play in the 2000 season with spots on all-conference teams. Kleinsorge, a sophomore middle blocker, was named to the All-Big East Second Team, while Ward, a freshman setter was voted to the Big East All-Rookie Team.

Kleinsorge has earned Big East postseason honors once before, having been picked for the All-Rookie team in 1999. Despite only playing 61 of 104 games in the 2000 season, Kleinsorge led the team with a .366 hitting percentage, 90 blocks and 23 solo blocks. She registered the best performance of her career against Boston College, tallying 21 kills and hitting .655 in the match.

Ward was a unanimous selection for the All-Rookie Team. The starting setter for Georgetown, she earned Big East Rookie of the Week honors five times during the season. Ward led the 2000 Hoyas in assists with 11.96 per game and finished third in the Big East in assists for the season. She also sported an impressive hitting percentage of .311, with 104 kills and 13 errors in 148 attempts.

The Hoyas finished the season 16-13 overall and 6-5 against Big East opponents for the season. Georgetown also won two tournaments over the course of the fall, taking both the Jefferson Cup Invitational and the Georgetown Classic.

Brunson Earns Honor

Freshman Rebekkah Brunson nabbed Big East Rookie of the Week following the Georgetown women basketball team’s success last weekend’s Moran Realty Classic in Chicago.

The forward from Oxon Hill, Md., becomes the first Hoya to win the award since sophomore forward Santia Jackson earned the honor nearly a year ago. Brunson recorded her first collegiate double-double in Georgetown’s 73-70 win over tournament host DePaul in the championship game, scoring 11 points and pulling down 10 rebounds. In the Hoyas’ first round drubbing of Marist, Brunson tallied four points and grabbed five boards.

Five games into her collegiate career, Brunson ranks second on the team in rebounds (5.8 rpg), and also second in points (9.2 ppg). Brunson also ranks sixth in the Big East for total blocks with five.

Georgetown (4-2) plays a crucial home game this Saturday against Tulane.